Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Seafoam Treatment

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  CreepiE 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm thinking of doing a Seafoam treatment, but I'd like to get your feedback...

Quick synopsis:

-2000 Astro, 4.3L, RWD, base, 100,500 miles
-I just purchased it 2 weeks ago, the seller indicated that the van had been sitting for ~6months, previous maintenance unknown
-I changed the oil, flushed the radiator, power steering, and transmission
-New spark plugs, cap, and wires
-4 new tires (dry rot on the originals)
-Replaced both rear struts (one was dead)
-New air filter
-New fuel filter
-New brakes all around
-New PCV valve

It runs excellent. I'm in Florida and it's rainy season. 2/10 mornings it has given me a rough idle. Both times it has quickly smoothed out, except this morning it threw a code at me (I didn't pull the code, but I'm sure it is a misfire from the idle). I reset the light by disconnecting the battery, drove it, we're good. Something is sticking. I would take the throttle body off and clean that, but damn I just had it all open last weekend :banghead: and I don't want to do it again if it's not necessary.

I'm going to run some fuel treatment through it today, but I'm considering using Seafoam as well since I know the vehicle sat for some time. I don't want more codes or more problems. What is the proper way to use it? Is it worth it? There are two many youtube videos of idiots pouring it all over the place.

:ty:

See less See more
#2 ·
I searched Seafoam and got nothing, but of course when I posted this then the board shows me all the related topics.

Sorry guys, I see all the other topics... I think I will give it a try by spraying it on the throttle body and pouring some into a vacuum line.

#4 ·
I use it. Both in/on my engine and as a general purpose "WD-40" like lubricant on gate hinges, power tools etc.

If you're ok with the idea that it's simply a light oil and that it cleans and lubricates stuff that it touches, then I think it's pretty intuitive.

The only way it can get into your injectors is if you add it to the fuel tank.

Adding it to a vacuum line will insert the stuff from that point "downward" in the engine.

Spraying it around the intake will clean that area, plus send some down into the engine.

Consider looking at YouTube - "ChrisFix" for a comparison between different kinds of cleaners including SeaFoam, Techron, others. He does endoscope videos of the internal cylinders before and after the various additives.

Lump

#5 ·
Get a couple bottles of Chevron Techron fuel additive (the 20+ gallon size) and add one to your tank, drive it to ¼, then add the second bottle and fill up the tank.

You'll see better results than with the Seafoam.

#6 ·
Lumpy said:
I use it. Both in/on my engine and as a general purpose "WD-40" like lubricant on gate hinges, power tools etc.

If you're ok with the idea that it's simply a light oil and that it cleans and lubricates stuff that it touches, then I think it's pretty intuitive.

The only way it can get into your injectors is if you add it to the fuel tank.

Adding it to a vacuum line will insert the stuff from that point "downward" in the engine.

Spraying it around the intake will clean that area, plus send some down into the engine.

Consider looking at YouTube - "ChrisFix" for a comparison between different kinds of cleaners including SeaFoam, Techron, others. He does endoscope videos of the internal cylinders before and after the various additives.

Lump
Good stuff, it seems to work for him and his method is "by the book". It doesn't seem like it can hurt, I think I will give it a go.

#10 ·
Sailing_Faith said:
deleteitall said:
I spray a gallon or two of distilled water into the throttle body intake (hot reving engine) before every oil change, which is about once a year.
A GALLON or two?
Yep, I ain't doin the decarbonization more than once a year so I'll do a full 1-2 gallons. It doesn't harm anything if you do it right and change the oil right afterwards. You can hear the water sizzling/vaporizing when it hits the intake, breaks the carbon off everything, leaves no oily residue and isn't harsh like acetone etc. I just replaced the catalytic converter / 4 oxygen sensors and distilled water is the only thing I trust sending through the intake and out the tailpipe.

Throttle body hadn't been cleaned in 10 years and 107k miles, took it apart, expecting lots of crud, didn't even need cleaning. Astro only gets Chevron Supreme 93 with Techron, and Mobil 1 full synthetic oil so that helps too.

Another vote for Techron, although I don't add bottles of it anymore since it's already in the gas I use, and too much fuel injector cleaner can kill fuel pumps in my opinion.

#12 ·
No prob, Youtube has some videos, search "decarbonization". Some people make mistakes IMO like not reving engine high enough, engine not hot enough, not using enough water to do the job, using tap water, or thinking water will destroy the engine. I do it like this...

1. Get engine and exhaust to hot operating temp.
2. Remove air intake assembly (I leave the plastic snorkel on top of the throttle body).
3. With left hand turn throttle body arm to rev engine while spraying water into throttle body. Engine might bog down, just let engine recover rpm and keep spraying. Water will sizzle when it hits the throttle body / intake. I am very liberal when spraying, obviously don't pour the water in.
4. Let engine idle for a while to dry up water / vapors. Exhaust might sound funny and smell like water vapor.
5. Change the oil and oil filter. Oil change is best with hot oil anyway.
6. Disconnect battery / reconnect to clear possible Check Engine Light and any codes that came up. Put van back together and run it out on the highway to make sure everything is dried out.

* Look inside tailpipe before doing this, might be less black when you're done.
* Engine must be hot.
* Use distilled water only.
* FYI - horse supply stores and Tractor Supply Stores sell these - best spray bottles I've found, for lots of purposes including decarbonization:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.