Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What is this thingy?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  thegreenmachine 
#1 ·
What is it? What does it do? Do I really need it?

It looks like this thing is quite restrictive, do aftermarket intakes keep this or do away with it?

Is it possible to take it out for better air flow? If I did, are there any implications?

View attachment 1

#2 ·
That is your MAF Mass Airflow Sensor.

The van will run without it, but your mileage and power will both suffer.

It is used by the computer to measure how much air is flowing into the he engine.

Don't remove it, and you should also know that cleaning it with anything but MAF cleaner may ruin it.

#4 ·
Do so at your own risk (and expense). Won't say no more !

Uncle Bob

Better you should remove your left leg...OK, OK...I lied !

#5 ·
bunce1260 said:
What is it? What does it do? Do I really need it?
MAF. It helps regulate the ECU to inject "X" amount of fuel to the engine based on the the O2 sensor readouts. You do, if you want to be running properly.

bunce1260 said:
It looks like this thing is quite restrictive, do aftermarket intakes keep this or do away with it?
Not very restrictive, but a little. And yes, aftermarket setups keep this part installed. They might install a different one, from a different vehicle for a little more tweaking to the HP and fuel consumption.

bunce1260 said:
Is it possible to take it out for better air flow? If I did, are there any implications?
You could drill it out, but you would be risking more then you would gain. Modifying/Drilling/Removing this is like cutting off your left testicle, you'll still be able to operate. But not at 100%, far from it really.

So, are you going to gamble with lefty?!??!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

You'd have to do your research. But I "THINK" you can plug and play a corvette MAF, and gain 10hp. I read something like that A LONG time ago, so don't quote me on that. Swap it, don't just eff it up by drilling it out.

~Junior

#6 ·
If you are talking about the screen deal in there, yes you can remove it, the newer corvettes don't have the screen either. It is supposed to smooth out the air flow to the MAF, probably helps more at idle, and restricts more at WOT. Where do you spend more time?

#8 ·
Don't know if they would swap, but you can just remove the screen from yours if that is the way you wanted to go. Could always get a replacement from the junk yard if you don't like it.

#9 ·
It mostly, the screen, straightens the flow so it goes past the sensors evenly. If your intake hose is straight into the screen you don't need it for any reason. If yours is at a 90 degree angle coming to the screen it WILL screw up the deal if it is removed. That is why some models don't have it and some do.

#13 ·
Lumpy said:
AstroWill said:
Where do you spend more time?
I find it's about 50/50 between the grocery store and the strip club.
Now that is a problem we should look into.

#17 ·
Lumpy said:
bunce1260 said:
Where did you get these nylon bolts? They sound like they are of the special order variety.
They were expensive. Had to use my Gold Card.

Lump
Gold card?

Why don't you use cash? Or do you split the cash between hooters, and shuffleboard.

Lol

Lumpy is the kind of guy who says

" those are neat, I'll take 1000 please"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.