Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

oil cooler leak please help

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  smokinjoe 
#1 ·
My 2001 astro is leaking from the oil cooler connection on the radiator both the top one and the bottom one. Now am not sure if I have to replace the fittings attached to the radiator or replace the lines. I would prefer to replace everything but money is a problem, so am trying to fix the issue spending as little as possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If I recall correctly, the lines should have O-rings on the male ends that fit into the rad fittings. You should feel some resistance as the lines go in and they should spring back slightly after the retainer clips get slipped into place and locked. Take a look ; I'm sure someone will be along soon with less fuzzy info (it's been a few years since I worked on a Gen II).
-Mike-

#4 ·
I have a '99 that developed a leak in the line (one of the fittings). After reading too many stories of replaced lines not lasting too long, decided to remove the lines and fitting between the oil filter and engine. It's pretty tough to replace the complete line due to the path that it is run in; very cramped. Your problem may be easier to repair than mine was, so you'll have to decide for yourself, however your line may start leaking eventually as mine did.

It's been less than a year this way, but haven't found it to be a problem.

#5 ·
Get ready to replace the O rings and the clips that hold the fittings together. No, changing the flex lines isn't difficult,

but can be somewhat tricky. Usually the flex lines develop leaks before the O rings go out to lunch. Big question:

Has any type of oil additive or any non oil frendly chemical, such as a stop leak, been added to the soup ?

Uncle Bob

#6 ·
Yes I did put an engine stop leak product I don't remember which.
I just drain all the oil and since I couldn't find the o-rings for the connectors I bought both oil cooler line connectors at Napa for $13.46 total am on my way home to replace them I'll keep you guys posted thanks

#7 ·
Astro Eddie said:
I will be running to advance auto parts and ask them about the o-ring I'll keep you posted thanks
Pull one of the O rings on yours, plus the little clip thing. Take both to LAPS. You can probably find a kit of O rings of all sizes for a few bucks and that's usually more cost effective than buying two singles. They'll have the clips in the Dorman HELP! section.

Start by simply replacing those, cost maybe 5 bucks. That may resolve the entire problem. If not, it's only five bucks.

Lump

#8 ·
Lumpy said:
Astro Eddie said:
I will be running to advance auto parts and ask them about the o-ring I'll keep you posted thanks
Pull one of the O rings on yours, plus the little clip thing. Take both to LAPS. You can probably find a kit of O rings of all sizes for a few bucks and that's usually more cost effective than buying two singles. They'll have the clips in the Dorman HELP! section.

Start by simply replacing those, cost maybe 5 bucks. That may resolve the entire problem. If not, it's only five bucks.

Lump
As usual, Lumpy's right. Although it sounds like you've already bought the parts, Lumpy's suggestion is the best and cheapest potential solution.
Sorry to "Hijack" your thread here but I have a question.....do the Gen I vans have the same oil-cooler setup as the Gen II arrangement? I've had 4 Gen I vans and none of them had any kind of oil-cooler in them.
-Mike-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.