Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

2002 spider removal, need some info from the brain trust

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Davo2530 
#1 ·
I am in the process of replacing the spider in my 2002 Astro. I have the upper plenum unbolted and am ready to attempt to remove it from the engine bay. First issue I have encountered is the Trans tube goes across the plenum in the center of the engine bay. It is not fastened and I can not determine just where it is supposed to be attached. Do I have to remove this from the tranny to get the plenum out? The 2 bolts that go through the throttle body and into the lower intake are obvious but where is the remaining bolts holding the throttle body I can see the long stud that held the air intake but it does not have a bolt head that I can see, does it hold the throttle body on. and how does it come out, if so? I wish who ever created this mess was close enough to take out my frustration on. I found RTV in the fuel line connectors and there is no cover on the fuel injector plug. Half the bolts are missing to things that are holding brackets and wiring harness clips. Dipstick tube is loose as is trans tube, would like to know where they are supposed to be fastened. Coil bracket was loose. Just a half assed job by either PO or some don't give a damn mechanic. :screaming: :banghead: :shrug: any help would be greatly appreciated and some pictures of where everything is supposed to be would be wonderful.

#2 ·
See the bolt on the left side, barely lit? That's the bolt that holds the dipstick tube to the throttle bracket:

And you see here the bolt that holds the two dipstick tubes together:

The last dipstick tube bolt is on the tranny itself; it's the passenger side top bolt from the tranny to the engine.

I think, even without removing the dipstick tube from the transmission, you should be able to swing it enough out of the way to remove the plenum.

#3 ·
Thank you yet again Leeann, I could not visualize how those were connected or to what, everything is either loose or missing and since I don't have Volume 1 I have no point of reference. I have purchased another set of FSM and am anxiously awaiting their arrival, hopefully I won't get ripped off again. I could not believe the RTV in the fuel line fitting instead of the proper O rings. What were they thinking?

#5 ·
I am surprised it ran at all actually considering all the crap I have found so far. I this van could have I bet it would have run away from home for the abuse and mistreatment it got. I hope the rain is finally over so I can get back to it tomorrow. I will keep you posted how things go.

#6 ·
OK, upper plenum is off, spider is out of the bracket, but now the injectors won't come out of the manifold. I really don't want to break anything off that will require removing the lower if it is not necessary, so some one wish to tell me what the trick is? These are the new style injectors so no squeeze clips. That would be to easy!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.