Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

no oil pressure on gauge

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  paulbot 
#1 ·
So continuing on from my mishap yesterday (see http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10618&start=20 last post in that thread), when I lost all my oil from an oil cooler line coming off, I double clamped the barbed fittings on the Hayden oil cooler I installed a few weeks ago. Added 4 quarts of oil checked the level, and fired it up. Expected a few seconds on no oil pressure, but it went 30 seconds and still no oil pressure.

Checked the FSM and it seems there is a bypass valve in the block above the oil filter adapter, I'm assuming it's there for the oil filter being clogged, it will bypass it, but unsure. FSM shows oil pressure sending unit under the dog house, so it doesn't seem like I knocked it lose during the repair.

After mulling this over a bit, I guess I need to check the oil pressure sending unit, then I may unhook one of the oil cooler lines and see if there is any flow. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Well false alarm. I dug through the shed found a old compression gauge, a 1/4 galvanized tee, and 2 pressure washer quick connects I made a pressure gauge out of. Of course as soon as I put it inline with the oil cooler lines and fired it up, I got pressure on my dash gauge and makeshift gauge. I guess it being dry it took a bit to reprime the oil pump. Still hear nothing out of the ordinary but will keep an eye out.

I did check out what the Hayden oil cooler line brand was, and it's Gates 8002361, quick search shows it's used for power steering return lines and transmission cooler lines. That number did not show up on Gates site search.

edite- here's a pic of the homemade gauge-
gauge.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.