Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

testing crankshaft position sensor

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
would using an induction timing light work to test if the sensor is functioning? it seems if the light flashes, when the engine is turned over, the sensor would have to be working? my 98 died suddenly yesterday and won't restart. the codes were p0336 and p0339. reading through the forum i see there are many issues that can cause those codes besides a bad sensor.

if i'm thinking correctly, it sure would save time and the the hassle of attaching the average volt meter and watch it, while manually turning the engine to check the trigger voltage. also the need for disabling the fuel and ignition.

any brand of sensor better than the others? it seems there is roughly a $60 difference between the LAPS price and the online prices.

#2 ·
Here is a testing procedure for one. A link. And a screenshot of the page in case the link wont work.

As picky as these computers are on these things I would go with a a/c delco. I saw them for 35 bucks on amazon.

Even I go with original parts of computer stuff they so finicky. Trick is finding them online and not at the dealer.

crank sensor.png

#3 ·
With intermittent problems, it can be more of a hassle to nail it down. I would replace the sensor instead of wasting time on a cheap part. I would get the cheapest sensor available(that is what I did in my 99 and still going strong), and when replacing it use some spray contact cleaner on the connector after visually inspecting it. Only takes a few minutes.

Using an induction timing light would show that you are getting spark, but wouldn't tell you the whole story.

#4 ·
it's not intermittent. it was running fine and died at a stop sign and never restarted. i found one OEM 213-3208 on amazon for $35, but i wouldn't see it until july 13- aug 8, which is pretty lame, since it can fit in an envelope. i hadn't even considered a non stock sensor, since astro electronics can be temperamental. but if there is another choice that others have had success with i'm open to suggestions.

#5 ·
I went through this doing mine. There are 2 types of log rhythms used in car computers. There are 2 aftermarket brands for each of the types. But they sell all types. Got to make sure it is the right type or the computer will read wrong info from the sensor.

I really need to start writing this crap down as I find it. The dodge and BMW forums both had good descriptions of the differences and the problems of mixing sensor types. And the types that belong with each.

Example with a heat sensor it can read 50 degrees off. Well that can cause big mixture problems and fouling in very few miles. O2's speak for themselves. FI is very temperamental about mixture. And we all know how temperamental these things are. If the timing is reading a billionth of a degree difference from the crank to distributor. Instant misfires on a apocalyptic scale.

That is why I said just get a factory one for this and be done with it. I am not with the nothing is wrong it just don't work scenario. Misses and other trivial bulloney.

#6 ·
pannebreaux said:
it's not intermittent.
I was going by the code.
P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermittent

Either way, check your LAPS, and different places online, grab a sensor, some contact cleaner, and get to work.

$29.30 with prime 2 day shipping for this particular sensor.

This is how I shop rockauto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.