Beware of fram oil filters

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Beware of fram oil filters

Postby astro355 [OP] » March 19th 2009, 1:40am

I have put this in the general section because not only does this refer to V6 and V8 Astro/Safaris but also any vehicle.

Something I just found out about Fram oil filters. They seem to be causing oil pressure to drop. I had installed one on my van during the last oil change and noticed a drop in oil pressure, usually when the engine was hot and at idle. One of the instructors at the local community college also noticed this on his last change. On the same day, we changed back to delco filters and the oil pressure problem disappeared.

We cut open the filters to look inside and found cheap cardboard was used to filter the oil. The funny thing about this is that he used a cheap fram filter and I was using the racing version, but the filtering material was the same.

I would get rid of that fram filter. I will never be using them again.

Below is a ling on google for "low oil pressure fram." There are over 1 million hits on this subject.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=low+oil+pressure+fram&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Beware of fram oil filters

Postby Leeann_93 » March 19th 2009, 2:06am

I stopped using Frams a few years back. I found this link looking around on the web and was convinced...

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Once upon a time, Fram was the best around. No longer...I put Purolator on all my vehicles.
'02 Astro SL AWD vin X
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Year: 2002
Extra Info: SL 4.3L AWD

Postby robkerel » March 19th 2009, 2:10am

funny you mention this...I to noticed a pressure drop since last oil change...it just so happened I went from quaker state filters to fram....I guess I will be changing back!!! :confused:
robkerel
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: robkerel has been a member for 5 full yearsrobkerel has been a member for 5 full yearsrobkerel has been a member for 5 full yearsrobkerel has been a member for 5 full yearsrobkerel has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Tiredguy

Postby fede » March 19th 2009, 2:21am

Wow, thats good to know. I put a fram filter on my last oil change.
Good thing im do for another 1 so i can take it off.
I think im gonna use a Champ filter.
Thanks a lot for the info!!
91 Astro LT
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: fede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 61

Postby Gary » March 19th 2009, 3:46am

I was a hard core Fram oil filter user for oh gee must have been over 20yrs.I read a review on the old site and it convinced me to change.Now the Wex filters seem to be the filter of choice.Yeah this thread reminds me it's time for a oil change on the LT. :doh:
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby GEEZER » March 19th 2009, 4:17pm

Mostly stay away from the orange cheap ones. The tough guard and xtra guard test to be a very good filter. :2:
2003 AWD cargo g80 3.42 gear
1998 AWD LT 230,000 RIP
1992 AWD LS 240,000 RIP
GEEZER
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: GEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Matrixx » March 19th 2009, 4:22pm

Their was a lot of talk about this on the old forum as Gary has already mentioned. I too was a hard core Fram user for many years until I started doing some research on it. Very disappointed on how Fram has cut back on their quality(cardboard indeed).

The Wix-Purolator-Delco filters were the best overall at the time of my research, and AC Delco is what I use now. I wish I could find that article again, but haven't been able to at this point.

Very good information posted here on this thread so far about it, Thanks.

Great heads up Astro355, Thanks.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14

Postby astro355 [OP] » March 19th 2009, 4:56pm

GEEZER wrote:Mostly stay away from the orange cheap ones. The tough guard and xtra guard test to be a very good filter. :2:

You would think that's true but its not. They use the same cardboard filtering material in all of the lines. We cut several of them open at the local community college and found this out for ourselves. Even the fram racing filter I used was the same material and did drop my oil pressure.

What's funny is that I have had 3 fram oil filters on my 355 since the rebuild and the last one is the only one that caused my loss of oil pressure. :confused:

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 5 full years

Postby GEEZER » March 19th 2009, 7:34pm

Comparing oil filters by looking at the internals without doing any real life tests is about as meaningful as testing cars by sitting in them and hearing them idle and then announcing that one car is faster than the others by the sound coming from the mufflers.
astro355 wrote:
GEEZER wrote:Mostly stay away from the orange cheap ones. The tough guard and xtra guard test to be a very good filter. :2:

You would think that's true but its not. They use the same cardboard filtering material in all of the lines. We cut several of them open at the local community college and found this out for ourselves. Even the fram racing filter I used was the same material and did drop my oil pressure.

What's funny is that I have had 3 fram oil filters on my 355 since the rebuild and the last one is the only one that caused my loss of oil pressure. :confused:
2003 AWD cargo g80 3.42 gear
1998 AWD LT 230,000 RIP
1992 AWD LS 240,000 RIP
GEEZER
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: GEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full yearsGEEZER has been a member for 5 full years

Postby astro355 [OP] » March 19th 2009, 9:12pm

GEEZER wrote:Comparing oil filters by looking at the internals without doing any real life tests is about as meaningful as testing cars by sitting in them and hearing them idle and then announcing that one car is faster than the others by the sound coming from the mufflers.
astro355 wrote:

Maybe you didn't hear me. The racing filter, not the cheap one, lowered my oil pressure just like the cheap one. On top of that, in the link posted in the first post show thousands upon thousands of similar complaints with all of the Fram oil filters. How much more "real life" do you want than that?

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby rev_les » May 2nd 2009, 11:38am

I know this post is like a month old as of now, but far y'alls additional knowledge, my brother is a bike mechanic, and they've had several bikes come in with puked rods etc.( Honda Yama, and Suzi's) with one common link...........FRAM. The Mfgrs all have litigation going with Fram on this, because THEY have to warranty them. I learned years ago running turbo 2.2 Dodges to stay away from "orange", the oil pressure drop kills the O/H cam journals. :violin:
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby Gary » May 2nd 2009, 12:24pm

rev_les wrote:I know this post is like a month old as of now, but far y'alls additional knowledge, my brother is a bike mechanic, and they've had several bikes come in with puked rods etc.( Honda Yama, and Suzi's) with one common link...........FRAM. The Mfgrs all have litigation going with Fram on this, because THEY have to warranty them. I learned years ago running turbo 2.2 Dodges to stay away from "orange", the oil pressure drop kills the O/H cam journals. :violin:

Yepper Rev-that is why I have changed to WEX filters after using Fram for about 20yrs.This post is good stuff!!!!. :clap: :clap:
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full yearsGary has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby marcus38 » May 2nd 2009, 2:54pm

WIX filters are the best aftermarket filter hands down. o reillys auto parts had diff filters cut in half to expose the elements on their parts counter. WIX spares no expense on the materials they use.
1990 astro CS 4.3 z engine 700r trans 2WD radical custom build
marcus38
Years of Membership: marcus38 has been a member for 5 full yearsmarcus38 has been a member for 5 full yearsmarcus38 has been a member for 5 full yearsmarcus38 has been a member for 5 full yearsmarcus38 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): mark

Postby generaljake01 » May 2nd 2009, 7:38pm

CAREFUL there marcus38...geezer will try to tell you that hacking open a filter and examining a filters internals proves NOTHING...
GEEZER wrote:
Comparing oil filters by looking at the internals without doing any real life tests is about as meaningful as testing cars by sitting in them and hearing them idle and then announcing that one car is faster than the others by the sound coming from the mufflers.
... to me id have to say that cheap cardboard= CHEAP CARDBOARD!!! As far as im concerned protecting and maintaining your engine all starts with your oil and filter,its the easiest way to prolong the life of your engine...and to know that all filters arent the same is important info and knowing that fram filters are cheap junk makes my filter choice EASY...ONLY DELCO OR WIX FOR ME!!! :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :ty: :ty:
'87 LT with TBI 305/700r4 3.42s---94 S-10 shorty w 350/TH350
generaljake01
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: generaljake01 has been a member for 5 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 5 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 5 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 5 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): 2-tone

Postby Mr_Bowtie » May 3rd 2009, 2:42am

I'm glad this thread got revived as I need to change my oil once I get the plenum back on. Good stuff guys!!! 8-)
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD