Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, she's got a new home. I have a laundry list but right now I don't have time to give a whole lot of detail. I needed to get this thread started for one issue w/ the AWD.
I have grease on the pass side front axle that appears to be coming from a boot. I need direction here as I've never had the awd flavor. Pics coming,,,

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1997 AWD GMC Safari
849 Posts
If you're just wondering where it's coming from, I gotchu

It's a bad boot on the cv axle - looks like the outer seal on the upper boot.

You can get new boots if that one is ripped - I have no idea what the replacement procedure is though. If it isn't ripped, well maybe the clamp thinger on the end just let go and you could throw more grease in there and reseal it perhaps. Seems unlikely though.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Better off to replace the cv axle. is what CFM told me. So since you have to remove the axle to replace the boot I just replaced the axle. My axle I removed was missing parts so I tossed it into scrap pile but if it was still good I was planning on replacing the boot and keeping it as a spare. Mark

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,370 Posts
WoodButcher said:
... I have grease on the pass side front axle that appears to be coming from a boot. I need direction here as I've never had the awd flavor.
Like I tell all the newbies with their brand, spankin... check that... new Vans:

In G00gull, "AWD 4WD CV axle boot grease astrosafari.com" will help w/ your searches from here on out.

...sheesh :shock:

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I love you too Mike!
:lol:
Ok then, goes in the cart at Rock Auto.
New brakes on the way too. I did pads and rotors on the front already, (I buy those local for the easy warranty replacement) Need calipers and lines on front too. Out back all the rubber lines, rotors and pads.
Clutch on the AC, I'll talk to the guys at the local Napa and see what they have but if the price is good at RA I'll just go ahead and get the axle.

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,370 Posts
Always look forward to new Pics. Nice to get ahold of a later model for future replacement.

BTW... are there dues in the "Leeann Multiple Van Ownership Club" ? Can you still use 1 Hand ?

LOL

:shock:

uh... I was referring to 'counting the # of Vans'.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,277 Posts
That is a pretty sever angle on that CV shaft. I would not eliminate the possibility of the axle seal being bad also. And probably a good idea to check those ball joints also.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, thanks for the input Ghost, I appreciate you all looking out for me on this as I've only driven awd astro a couple times in the past and never worked on one. It was on the jackstands hanging so it may appear a bad angle but it isn't that bad on the ground. Everything is fairly tight in the front end, the rust is deceptive. She's been sitting on the coast for too long.
The exhaust is pretty much toast, short hops, condensation, and lots of sitting in salty air.
A little on the back side of the core support bottom of back doors, the subframe needs beating and brushing, same for all the hard steel like the rear end and suspension.
I got this...

Lol, I'm still a newb to the AWD but this thing is awesome.
Ever come up on a turd in the high speed lane doing 55???
With this beast if I hit the gas at at that speed she squats in the rear and the front tires squeal! Fast-fast...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
WoodButcher said:
Ever come up on a turd in the high speed lane doing 55???
With this beast if I hit the gas at at that speed she squats in the rear and the front tires squeal! Fast-fast...
While I don't hang out in the left lane. I am usually the one everyone is blowing past until I come up on an RV or company driver. I've surprised more than a few with how quick I can jump from 65 up to 80+. And that is with a bone stock 4.3. That 6.0 has got to be down right scary.

Mine has definitely got a 5.7, or 6.0 in its future. Just need to figure out how to go from the 4472 fulltime AWD to the 236/246 hi/lo electronic.

Make sure you figure in a rear swat bar. it turns these vans into a whole different beast!!!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
:violence-instagib: :violence-instagib: Dang double clicking mouse

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I typically stay about 5 over the limit, haven't had a speeding ticket since I was a kid. I do pay more attention to the road/ vehicle conditions and flow of traffic. I don't wear out my brakes tailgating, I'll leave room so I can drive w/ the throttle.
Around here traffic slowdown adds on average 35 - 40 minutes a week to my commute. It adds up to one more trip every week the sad part being 90 percent of the slowdown is caused by the tailgaters and clowns going to the right lane to get one more spot.
While the guy in the fast lane doing 55 is the root cause for the slowdown it is the tailgater that causes the stop. Guy in front taps his brake the next car in line needs more brake and so on until the folk at the end come to a stop.
Most afternoons I ask Google on my phone to "take me home", if the time is more than 5 minutes over a traffic free run I'll take the backroads that may be 10-15 minutes more just to avoid the frustration.

Thanks for stopping in Copper, I appreciate the extra eyeballs!

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cleaned off the grease spewing member and the boot is bad. the lower boot is dry rotted as well. New parts shipped yesterday so besides cleaning I've been soaking every fastener w/ acetone-trans fluid mix.
As for pics?
come on mow,,, y'all know what an astro looks like! :rofl:

After a bath I'll get some posted, right now I don't have time. Getting a plate on her and up and running for work is all I can manage. Aside from juggling 3 jobs I'm involved in my bride planned a party at my house and invited 50+ people for the 28th. Pressure wash the house and deck, sand and stain the deck, converted railings to benches not to forget the normal stuff like mowing the lawn.
Yesterday the last parts for my corrugated steel carport arrived (27' x 18') and that I'm not getting involved with until after the dust settles.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,155 Posts
Yeah, but this is your Astro. Pics!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts