Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know just how rare these 4 cylinder manual trans astros are. The vin 1GCCM15E2FB175942 does depict what is in the van but with that high of a production number leads me to believe that its not as rare as I first thought.

My plan right now is to get it running and driving first and then find the direction of which to go. As far as I can tell its very stock and unmolested.
2014102495113837.jpg

20141130_164510.jpg

20141130_164450.jpg

·
Registered
729 Posts
I can't offer any info on the rarity of your van, but I absolutely love finds like this. Its great how it sat so long trees grew up like that. That thing is in tremendous good shape! Totally cool :eek:

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,405 Posts
The high production number only says how many Astros were built that year, not how many manual trans Astros were built.

Like woodbutcher said, I've only seen about ½ dozen in my time here.

Congrats on the find and thanks for rescuing her...body looks great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the in site and positive responses.

The body is nearly rust free and being a Michigan vehicle its whole life that is saying a lot. The sub frame however may have to be changed out. I have not extensively looked it over yet but there is some rust through on the drivers side front horn out to the bumper and on the out side (cup or ring) whatever you would call where the coil spring fits up into.

I work 12 hour shifts at the semi conductor plant so my projects tend to be lengthy but I also don't let a stone go unturned. I have a few days off coming up so I will get some more details together to share.

Axle

·
Registered
631 Posts
My first Astro was that van. I hated it. There was some ridiculously high MPG claim, but it would never happen because you have it floored the whole time you're driving. And if you have big feet, you're usually stomping on 2 or three pedals at the same and wrong time. I traded it in after about 5 months. To be fair, it was not bad on long trips though. I rented an Astro with the 4.3 and loved it. I got one soon after, and many over the years. The 4cyl was not even plentiful in the 80's, there can't be many now, but then again I doubt if anyone wants one, even today....but you never know, there is someone out there who wants something really badly, regardless of what it may be.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I ve seen 2 manual here ,very rare around here , and one is own by a friend that just started restoring it after abendoning it for many years ,i would not mind a four cylinder .

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is one '85 with the 4-cyl/4-speed combo in a salvage yard near me, from which I removed the clutch pedal a few years ago for my '95 5-speed conversion, but they are not common at all. I would estimate the 4cyl/5-speed combo is less than 10% of all made that year, but regardless of the numbers, that's a great score. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Looks like you need to order some outside door handles, too. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on the manual find!!.. I too have one.... an 89 Astro with the T5..... factory. I have been looking for extra parts, like tail housing and shifters... not much luck.

Casey: is the 85 4cly/5spd still there????

I love these manual vans!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts