Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My astro does not start when it is cold, nor does it start after it sits for more than a half hour. I was thinking maybe engine temperature sensor. Any other thoughts? Also, where can I find the testing proceedure and codes for this vehicle.

thanks in advance

· Registered
2,641 Posts
Hi lejjend3

Welcome to the Forum

It "could" be a Temp Sensor yes. When was the last tune-up done on your vehicle? Thanks.:)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery goes dead only if I don't run the Astro, but it does take a charge easily and will hold the charge for about 2 months. Even when it is fully charged the Astro won't start.
Thanks, Chris

· Registered
2,641 Posts
X2 on the tune-up and using Delco parts.:)

· Registered
2,641 Posts
Hi ejjend3

Thanks for the updates.:)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tuned it up- Plugs, rotor, cap, plug wires, fuel filter, etc. Still does not start when cold or even after 20 minutes or so after shut down. At first I thought it could be the engine temp sensor that is not allowing more fuel at cold start up, but the engine is still plenty warm after 20 minutes and should not need more fuel, so it should start. I tested the engine temp sensor with an ohm meter and hot water at incremental temperatures. It seems to be close to the specs. Is there another temp sensor I'm missing? The one I tested is in the head on the drivers side between the 2 rear spark plugs, but higher up on the head. It has one wire attached to the tip. Also, just to mention, if I prime the engine with a little fuel, it starts right up.
Thanks in advance, Chris

· Registered
2,641 Posts
Hi lejjend3

That would be the temperature gauge sending unit you checked. The one you want to check (Temp Sensor) is below of the Thermostat housing and just left of the EGR Valve on the intake manifold. It "should" have a Yellow and Black wire with that plug-in (2-wire plug-in).

Please keep us updated, Thanks.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.