Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has got me baffled. My mom's 2000 Astro has started blowing the interior light fuse. The first time, I didn't bother to check to see if it was the fuse for about a week. When I checked and discovered that the fuse was blown, I changed it and the lights came on. It kept working until yesterday. Since I know that there is not a direct short (that would blow the fuse immediately), where do I even start?? I am so frsutrated with this vehicle and all of the problems that it has had.

I will mention that I do use the dome light override (push the button 4 times) to turn off the DRLs and brighten the dash lights (they are very hard to see during the day, which is when they should be at their brightest). This van also has a problem with the dash lights/head lights pulsating, which is definitely not normal behavior. If anyone has experience this before (or knows where to start), please chime in. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you have an overhead console, try pulling the console. I've had (2 x) a wire that was pinched between the console and the body/roof. every so often I went over a bump and the fuse blew.. Found a wire with the insulation displaced enough to be an intermittent short

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the overhead console down and discovered that one of the rear light switches in it was broken. I didn't look to see if the wires had touched each other, but I taped one up and put the other one back into the plastic housing to keep them separated. We will see if that was the problem.

·
Registered
291 Posts
With the dash light/headlight pulsing, and the dome light/override being part of that same switch, I would look at the headlight switch and its connections. Electrical gremlins are always a pain, best of luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave up on it, because I am tired of working on this POS. Taping off the exposed wire in the overhead console did not fix the problem. I am not sure that the headlight switch would cause this problem, since I can still dim the dash lights with it. I noticed a relay block next to the fuse block by the brake pedal. I don't know what is controlled from there. Also, there has to be a light control box somewhere (it's what would shut the lights off after you close the doors and lock it).

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,451 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.