Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
221 - 229 of 229 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I've had a rough idle at startup for the past month or so. after it runs a few minute it smoothes out and runs fine. Long story short - I'm pretty convinced it's the intake gaskets.

The 5.7 long-block was new but I used an intake from a 100k + miles pickup. It was already pitted. I was saving $$ and had cleaned it up. I ordered a new lower intake from bay and will have a local shop evacuate the A/C for me. I'll R&R it and expect I'll be good to go for a while....

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Intake gaskets failed again. Spent the weekend replacing the lower intake with a new one (original-used one was already pitted years ago). Used fel-pro gaskets. Unfortunately the plastic/ fiber ones not the metal-backed ones so I may end up doing this again at some point.

64645060971__3E5CA1A2-DEA5-44C5-BDAC-BE46062CC141.jpeg

64645294693__1E8D5279-0941-42C2-B353-38DB698A0160.jpeg

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5407.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

Attachments

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Just a quick update. I replaced the radiator temperature probe with an in-line coupler with the probe fitted for the flex-a-lite fans. Van had been running fine for about 10 years now on the L31 +/-. Had no issues getting through California's SMOG check every couple of years. I've not been driving it much recently. Kinda wondering what you all think it might be worth on the market...?

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 · (Edited)
Helped out my buddy rebuilding their rear calipers on his 280xz. Mechanic had it at the shop for six months and had the parts in boxes...

As a tow vehicle, the van has been quite good. upgraded front calipers and upgraded the rear brakes to disks. Air-springs are invaluable for maintaining a decent ride and not bottoming out the leafs at the back.

Attachments

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
V8 still running strong. Fixed an arc from the exhaust manifold heat shield shorting the HT lead on the RHS #2. was causing misfires. running smoother now. Not having a washer under the manifold bolt caused the heat shield to bend and get too close to the spark plug lead. could see at night the spark arching at idle.

· Super Moderator
7,731 Posts
Hopefully the front end comes back straight for you. I just bought a power puller for my daughter's car, she sideswiped a guardrail in a storm.

Good find on the arc!

221 - 229 of 229 Posts