Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR for that paragraph: battery is good, starter is good, starter wiring is good but when i try to start the dash lights dim and nothing else happens. Trans position light goes out a few seconds after power come on. Maybe the computer wont let the van start because it doesnt know if the trans is in park? if other people agree with my hypothesis would anybody know where i should look for an issue with the trans wiring to narrow my search and save me from having to go through all of it.

I purchased a 2002 awd astro with a seized motor as a project. Due to a variety of issues with money or circumstances the route i've ended up taking to get the van running has been to swap the whole subframe (engine, trans, transfer case and all the bits) from the 2002 for a subframe from a 1997 safari. My current issue is that despite everything being hooked back up the van doesn't even crank when i hit the starter. I know the battery and starter are good since when i first installed the starter wiring i messed it up and had some of the hooks on the washers that go over the posts on the starter / solenoid touching which ended up bypassing the solenoid and causing the engine to crank as soon as i tried to hook up the battery. So i went back in and fixed the wiring and got it hooked up properly however now turning the key from power to start causes nothing to happen but the dash lights to dim. One thing i've noticed is that the backlight for the PRND123 display goes out a few seconds after turning the power on and moving the gear lever doesn't cause it to come back on let alone cycle through the gears as i move the lever. At one point while moving the lever through the range the display backlight came on for a few seconds and followed the lever through the gears but it went out again after a couple seconds. This makes me suspect there is an issue with the computer not knowing if the trans is in park and because of that not closing the solenoid to allow power to the starter. Im hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction for where i might find the issue in the transmission wiring to save me from having to try and go though all of it.

·
Registered
2002 Astro LT RWD
109 Posts
Consider taking a look at the Park/Neutral position switch. The PCM is looking to it for confirmation that the vehicle is in Park or Neutral before allowing the starter to crank. I'd start with a Youtube search for "4l60e park neutral switch". I don't think the content would need to be Astro/Safari specific

1 - 2 of 2 Posts