Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Astronians, I am new here. I am currently replacing my lower control arms and one of the bolts are seized. I am going to have to cut it out. Does anyone know what size bolts these are and where I can find them? I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find the answer.
White Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Line Font

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,486 Posts
If you have not yet cut it out, try PB Blaster for several days, with alternate applications of a BIG hammer to the head of the bolt. If you also have access to a rattle gun, it would not hurt anything to try that also, at least once a day.
From a posting by AstroWill last year:

.....m16x2.0x114mm grade 10.9
But you will find like 110mm or 120mm for regular stock bolts.

Looks like the other one is m16x2.0x137mm grade 10.9 cone point

I am not sure which is which, but they are obviously 16mm x 2.0 pitch. You can guess which length you need
Good luck
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up cutting it out which seems to be a bad idea because now I cannot seem to find the same bolts anywhere. If anybody has a good idea of where to find the bolts that are discontinued or a bolt that I can use that is like it from a hardware store please let me know.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,238 Posts
I just had mine off last weekend.. these bolts came out easily without any issue.

I can't imagine them not coming apart... especially since they are so big, and the nut is fully exposed.
Some heat (on the nut) and the right tools would have made this job a snap.
Oh well, I guess that's irrelevant now.

You have the other bolt, that should get you the specs you need.
Take it to a local bolt supply house (not Home Depot) and see if they can match it up.
Heck I've seen some amazing selections at Ace Hardware too.
It doesn't have to be metric... but if SAE it will need to be Grade 8.

Of course you could most certainly find it online too.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help you guys honestly looking for these bolts online is a struggle I ended up getting in touch with this place called you bolt it and they will see if they can find something comparable but I guess I'm also going to go check out the hometown Ace hardware.

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,486 Posts
I ended up cutting it out which seems to be a bad idea because now I cannot seem to find the same bolts anywhere. If anybody has a good idea of where to find the bolts that are discontinued or a bolt that I can use that is like it from a hardware store please let me know.
Please do not use a hardware store bolt, unless it is specifically a hardened one. Those bolts are critical for safety.
The metric designation is 10.9 (IIRC)
Major metro areas have hardware supplier for industrial application ( Fastenall is one chain )
Similar items are also available on E-bay. Here is an example of a 10.9 grade metric 16mm x 2.0 x 120MM.

Rod J
Issaquah, WA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts