Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,998 Posts
Vandiction said:
Oil pan: Has anyone had success with a pan fitting into an AWD without fabricating one?
For me... with aprox 7" of body lift on my AWD.. I plan to simply lift the motor what ever is needed, and not touch the oil pan. I would think if cutting the pan is typically a few inches"... then raising the body and motor the same few inches should accommodate. (I don't know how much is typically cut from pan).

Fuel: Is the 4.3 fuel pump enough to feed the V8?
Is this going to be a carbureted engine, or fuel injection?
The stock 4.3 fuel pump in my 92 was adequate for my carbureted V8-350.

Looking forward to watching your progress!!!

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Vandiction said:
Raised the motor and tranny 2" and cleared the front diff and bracket.
Awesome... good to know! If you have even a mild lift (with motor-mount mod) you should easily be able to swap to V8 without oil pan modifications.

Vandiction said:
I'm going 2" body lift, raising the motor and fab'ng a new diff bracket (similar to his thread) in hope of clearing the front diff/bracket. Should know by late next week if it all works.
Do you have any photos of this particular work?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Vandiction said:
Few more pics of the clearance with the motor now mounted on 2" lifts. So far, lifting the motor, tranny and body by 2" has been a smooth solution to getting the pan in there without hitting the front driveline.
Fantastic work! (and photos)

Vandiction said:
Haven't solved the AC problem yet but may have an answer tomorrow.
What's the A/C problem?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Having a FULLY functional A/C with my V8 was ESSENTIAL! With a Gen 1 block.. it ALL bolted straight up from the V6. Plenty of room.

This photo (shows compressor) is from a radiator swap:
IMG_2395a.600.jpg

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I think your tire size looks IDEAL for your lift!
My next set, I intend to go down a size from my 31's.. even though they fit fine.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
^^ What Woodbutcher said! ^^

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
WoodButcher said:
,,,anytime I get a kid next to me with a ricer or trash can exhaust tips on I just bust up laughing. I'll play a little on the highway but I won't get into a stoplight race...
I "usually" feel the same way...... but apparently not always!

I had one of those lowered "fart machines" sitting next to me at a red light Friday night...so (after I finished laughing) I quickly taught him about American V8 muscle. While he was farting through a couple gears.. I simply pulled away fast and strong. I briefly heard the farting of his shifting in the background as I said "adios sucker".

My wife sitting next to me asked me "why did you do that", and I said he just needed a quick lesson. But she really already knew that. Then she said.. "but you didn't even "gear down"... lol. I simply accelerated "really fast" to the speed limit (no burning rubber) and let off, watching him way back in the mirror. It WAS really funny! He didn't try again.

Ironically, It's the only time I've ever wasted my time on one of these fart machines... but this car was EXCEPTIONALLY OBNOXIOUS!!!

I'm not sure how much horsepower it takes to produce that level of embarrassing noise.. but he obviously didn't have any left over to spare! :shrug:

Sorry.. didn't mean to hijack the thread from the OP!
"Sleepers" are just too much fun and I still suffer from the V8 grin!

That new transfer case is looking MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE!!
The video sounded GREAT too!!! Love the dual muffler work!

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Yeah... my wife KNEW it wasn't a "fair" fight...but the ridiculous clown was just too obnoxious to let slide! He got a serious spanking! lol

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I'll stick with my simple and happy carburetor! I did have to hook a rubber fuel line to it though.

Apparently when I got done, my computer had NOTHING left to do or control... so it got removed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts