Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
CopperFiremist is building his right now. You can check his thread here... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=72617 I've been preparing my swap by using a lot of road he's paved. The biggest hurdles are in the original post in this thread based on hours of research.

I'm going 2" body lift, raising the motor and fab'ng a new diff bracket (similar to his thread) in hope of clearing the front diff/bracket. Should know by late next week if it all works.

As for pans, I'm down to the GM Muscle Car pan or the ultra-expensive Holley 302-1. Is what it is. Fortunately, the speed shop doing this has both pans hanging on their wall so, if the GM works as well, it's going in. There's no magic tin pan that'll slide in there for short money. Not today, anyway.

Couldn't resist a cam kit for the new LQ4. Gonna be in the 450hp neighborhood w/an emphasis on torque. Hate to guess where that number will be but easily in the 450-500 range. Already scouting trannys and wondering WTH is going to happen to the little transfer case. TBD. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Been a slower start than I'd planned w/gathering parts and getting the shop cleared out but we're under way!

·
Banned
10,996 Posts
Corsemoto said:
Thanks maher, 100 lbs isn't too bad.
I've had 525 lbs worth of Hooters Girls in my Astro for rugby practice. Didn't bother the handling or accelleration a bit.

But if I was transporting the WalMart girls rugby team, I think I'd use a 1 ton van.

Lump

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Corsemoto said:
Vandiction said:
Already scouting trannys and wondering WTH is going to happen to the little transfer case. TBD. :confused:
NV 246?
Maybe that. Maybe the 149 from a the 6.0 AWD chassis ie Escalade, Silverado SS... I've done these builds before and busted 4L65's, converters, rear ends and drive shafts; never a transfer case but also never ran a V6 driveline behind a built V8...not a problem until it's a problem. Want to be prepared with a solution.

Subscribed to CapnCrunch's thread of the 246 build, too. Really interested to read how he sorts out the wiring. viewtopic.php?f=169&t=80937

Found this and keep staring at the Strength column :geek:

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
...So far so good. Raised the motor and tranny 2" and cleared the front diff and bracket. Thanks to Copperfiremist for all the pics and input of his build and alerting the issue. Skated around it! Owe the man :cheers:

Here's the clearance over the diff:

Plenty of clearance over the bracket and axle:

For future V8 Club Pledges: An LS torque converter won't fit our trannys.

Our 4L60 has a shorter input shaft and bell housing than a typical LS's 4L60. Considered swapping to a truck 4L60/70 with it's bell housing but it would involve moving the motor further forward 1/2" and hadn't planned for that. With the efans it might work but it might also mean other accessories. There's your heads-up. If someone goes that route I'd love to hear how it works out.

More to come.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
Vandiction said:
Raised the motor and tranny 2" and cleared the front diff and bracket.
Awesome... good to know! If you have even a mild lift (with motor-mount mod) you should easily be able to swap to V8 without oil pan modifications.

Vandiction said:
I'm going 2" body lift, raising the motor and fab'ng a new diff bracket (similar to his thread) in hope of clearing the front diff/bracket. Should know by late next week if it all works.
Do you have any photos of this particular work?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mmusicman said:
Vandiction said:
Raised the motor and tranny 2" and cleared the front diff and bracket.
Awesome... good to know! If you have even a mild lift (with motor-mount mod) you should easily be able to swap to V8 without oil pan modifications.

Vandiction said:
Do you have any photos of this particular work?
Avoided fabricating the front diff bracket as the motor lift allowed clearance. Note: the tranny went up 2", too. Remains to be seen how this will affect the front drive shaft (performance) going down the road. TBD...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Few more pics of the clearance with the motor now mounted on 2" lifts. So far, lifting the motor, tranny and body by 2" has been a smooth solution to getting the pan in there without hitting the front driveline. Accessories are set up except for an A/C solution...TBD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
CopperFiremist said:
Looking good! I sure hope you are going to paint that sub frame.
Thanks, bud. And nope. Not painting it. Just cleaned it up and running it.
Haven't solved the AC problem yet but may have an answer tomorrow.
Motor is in and the body is on with the 2" lift.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
Vandiction said:
Few more pics of the clearance with the motor now mounted on 2" lifts. So far, lifting the motor, tranny and body by 2" has been a smooth solution to getting the pan in there without hitting the front driveline.
Fantastic work! (and photos)

Vandiction said:
Haven't solved the AC problem yet but may have an answer tomorrow.
What's the A/C problem?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The LS motor is such a tight fit that we're both scratching our heads for a solution where to put the AC compressor. With the extra lift of my motor mounts I thought the stock spot under the water pump might work but the tranny lines would need to be moved to get it in there. Used the 4.3's accessory bracket, alternator and PS pump all on the other side so it doesn't leave much option for the A/C...knew it was going to be an issue going into it.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts