Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
Having a FULLY functional A/C with my V8 was ESSENTIAL! With a Gen 1 block.. it ALL bolted straight up from the V6. Plenty of room.

This photo (shows compressor) is from a radiator swap:
IMG_2395a.600.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
CopperFiremist said:
Only option I have found is this with a saden 508 http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/LS.htm 142R
Bought a relocation bracket from DirtyDingo to move the alternator to the passenger side. Putting the compressor in the upper right. Let you know Monday how it went.
Van is getting the exhaust done tomorrow/Friday. Hoping for final tuning on Tuesday and back on the road. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Mmusicman said:
Having a FULLY functional A/C with my V8 was ESSENTIAL! With a Gen 1 block.. it ALL bolted straight up from the V6. Plenty of room.

This photo (shows compressor) is from a radiator swap:
For sure a 350 is a helluvalot easier swap than an LS into an AWD. Wouldn't go through all this again but definitely wanted the newer motor. Plan to keep this van for 10 years so it was worth it this time around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The DirtyDingo alternator bracket does the trick! Alternator is moved over and the A/C compressor is in a happy place. Exhaust is done, too. Pics of that to come...stay tuned.
Should be on the road this week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
New math equation:
2" reindexed keys + 2" body lift = needs bigger tires

Attachments

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I think your tire size looks IDEAL for your lift!
My next set, I intend to go down a size from my 31's.. even though they fit fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Those are @29 1/2" on it now.
Thanks. Maybe it just looks weird right now because I'm not used to it.

Will get some more pics up as it wraps up over the next couple days. Can't wait to hear it running.

·
Banned
10,996 Posts
Vandiction said:
New math equation:
I think they purposely size tires and lift components so you're always chasing the ideal.

Add 2" lift, install new tires. Now it seems not lifted enough. Install the next smallest lift, now it seems lifted too much. Upsize tires again, not lifted enough. It's endless.

But fun.

It only has to be tall enough to check the cleavage, and to crush a few SmartCars.

Lump

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Vandiction said:
The DirtyDingo alternator bracket does the trick! Alternator is moved over and the A/C compressor is in a happy place. Exhaust is done, too. Pics of that to come...stay tuned.

I just checked the Dirty Dingo web site but didn't see the high mount A/C setup.
What am I doing wrong ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
DRZ said:
Vandiction said:

I just checked the Dirty Dingo web site but didn't see the high mount A/C setup.
What am I doing wrong ?
Clicky: http://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/mobile_p ... ts_id=1406

EDIT: This is for the alternator and not the A/C. It was necessary to move the alternator using this bracket to make room for the A/C to go on the upper right. The A/C bracket is being custom made. Not a huge fabrication project in the grand scheme of the swap. If you look closely in the pic you'll see it basically needs to be a plate with a mount on top. Will post pics when it's built. Hoping tomorrow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Lumpy said:
Vandiction said:
New math equation:
I think they purposely size tires and lift components so you're always chasing the ideal.

Add 2" lift, install new tires. Now it seems not lifted enough. Install the next smallest lift, now it seems lifted too much. Upsize tires again, not lifted enough. It's endless.

But fun.

It only has to be tall enough to check the cleavage, and to crush a few SmartCars.

Lump
I must be losing it...actually 100% agree with this nonsense! :cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So, here's the AC bracket. Had to make it a bit taller to clear the coils...this is the final version.

And had to fab one new line to the AC. It moved jusssst enough for one of the stock lines to be too short. Now we have a fully operational van again. WOOT! :driving:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
:driving: 'Hear' it is! Alive and spinning AWD on dry pavement... :driving:
https://www.facebook.com/americanmotorw ... 600447725/

BIG props to Jason at American Motorworks in Bridgewater, MA who has been great to work with. A natural born gear head, educated as a Mechanical Engineer, he was open to the idea of this build from the minute I reached out with it. We did tons of research throughout and bounced a lot of ideas until settling on solutions that worked. From adapting used parts off the 4.3 accessory brackets to lift ideas and custom fabrications, this was not an easy build by any standard. Still have a couple minor wrinkles to work out and will get the details into the thread for future reference and wrap this one up.

Coming soon: Cosmetic and Graphic work
And later: Transmission and Transfer case

ps. Mods, V8 Club please :cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Been on the road for a week now. This thing is an animal! Wish I could get sound clips uploaded here...

Exhaust is true duals. Ran 2 1/2" into an X-pipe, twin mufflers and dumping them both behind the driver's side rear tire. Planning to tailgate, beach party and use the van for on-snow demos so I don't want exhaust blowing out the rear or the psgr side. It sounds so nasty with this cam!

Plan to post a full recap of the nuances it took to make an LS fit into an AWD and hope to save future prospects time, money and ***-ache.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Funny, :confused:

I've been watching your work all along and thought I was subscribed to your thread. I have very little to contribute as to advice with an AWD, lifting or the LS version motor swap but I would like to welcome you to the sh*teatin'grin club... :twisted:

It's really hard to keep a straight face driving Mom's old van with a well built motor in the doghouse,,,
You've done a beautiful job, congrats!

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
^^ What Woodbutcher said! ^^

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Mmusicman said:
^^ What Woodbutcher said! ^^
Still got that stupid grin?

I've gotten better but anytime I get a kid next to me with a ricer or trash can exhaust tips on I just bust up laughing. I'll play a little on the highway but I won't get into a stoplight race, call me chicken or whatever I prefer to think I've just grown up finally but I'm more than happy to sucker the kids and watch them jump when the light changes.
I really shouldn't do that but sometimes I just can't resist. This area is too congested, people blow through lights w/o looking, walk across the street like the road was paved for them rather than cars. I was forced to sell my bike in the '90s and while I do miss riding I'll not buy another. I have no desire to get on a bike in this area, people just seem to be getting dumber as far as the road goes, common sense just isn't so common I guess.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
This beast arrived...a new 149 as in the Silverado SS. Wanted to wait on the driveline but been reluctant to press this motor past 1/4 throttle in fear of shredding the tranny and transfer case. This case is huge compared to the stock 136 case. Confident it will handle the power for years to come.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
WoodButcher said:
,,,anytime I get a kid next to me with a ricer or trash can exhaust tips on I just bust up laughing. I'll play a little on the highway but I won't get into a stoplight race...
I "usually" feel the same way...... but apparently not always!

I had one of those lowered "fart machines" sitting next to me at a red light Friday night...so (after I finished laughing) I quickly taught him about American V8 muscle. While he was farting through a couple gears.. I simply pulled away fast and strong. I briefly heard the farting of his shifting in the background as I said "adios sucker".

My wife sitting next to me asked me "why did you do that", and I said he just needed a quick lesson. But she really already knew that. Then she said.. "but you didn't even "gear down"... lol. I simply accelerated "really fast" to the speed limit (no burning rubber) and let off, watching him way back in the mirror. It WAS really funny! He didn't try again.

Ironically, It's the only time I've ever wasted my time on one of these fart machines... but this car was EXCEPTIONALLY OBNOXIOUS!!!

I'm not sure how much horsepower it takes to produce that level of embarrassing noise.. but he obviously didn't have any left over to spare! :shrug:

Sorry.. didn't mean to hijack the thread from the OP!
"Sleepers" are just too much fun and I still suffer from the V8 grin!

That new transfer case is looking MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE!!
The video sounded GREAT too!!! Love the dual muffler work!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts