Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Is that new transfer case a plug and play deal or will it be lots of custom work? Will it play nice with the computer?
Share the details please,
MOAR PICS!!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one MM.
I had a Mustang try to run away a few days ago, he couldn't.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
Yeah... my wife KNEW it wasn't a "fair" fight...but the ridiculous clown was just too obnoxious to let slide! He got a serious spanking! lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
WoodButcher said:
Is that new transfer case a plug and play deal or will it be lots of custom work? Will it play nice with the computer?
Share the details please,
MOAR PICS!!!
Definitely not dropping in place. This case is XXL compared to the size of the 136 but there is plenty of room for it under there. New 4L65 (see sig.) is going in at the same time which is the correct tranny for the LS block rather than the stock 4L60 which needed a spacer to adapt and still doesn't line up perfectly and the converter is tiny and, and, and. Motor mounts have the holes drilled to move it forward to allow room for the tranny to sit in place. Think it's more likely the motor will stay in place and the tranny and transfer case will shift back 1/2"-3/4" though. This will mean custom drive shafts.

We'll see about the computer. The case is the direct part for an '04 Silverado SS. The van is an '05 and the motor is an '03 running on the van's stock computer. The tuning is all done by Slowhawk Performance and he knows more about LS everything...will program it to shred. The 149 has different internals so the electronic actuator will go away and be programmed off.

Guess it's getting pretty custom...again.

All it needed was a better radio. :doh:

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
AC Delco and Philco both make nice,
whoops! not any more,
nevermind :doh:

The tuning is all done by Slowhawk Performance and he knows more about LS everything
Don't happen to have a good OBD I tuner in your back pocket by any chance? :lol:

keep us posted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
WoodButcher said:
Don't happen to have a good OBD I tuner...? :lol:
Good one! You do realize this is an oxymoron... :whack:

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
I'll stick with my simple and happy carburetor! I did have to hook a rubber fuel line to it though.

Apparently when I got done, my computer had NOTHING left to do or control... so it got removed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very very cool Vandiction. I know your research, trial and error, and work will help others considering this swap. I'm planning the same thing. At least now I have a better idea what to expect and what I will need. Thanks for posting your progress, and I look forward to hearing the rest of the details. ..Oh, and sorry for hijacking your thread back there... I had the same idea and was gettin excited.. lol I'm probably not gonna start this till next summer, but I know what I'll be shopping for in the meantime.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
A month with a couple thousand miles and several tanks of gas later and I can say, it's done! I think most of the hurdles we ran into were put into the thread here. Everything works exactly as it did originally; cruise, gauges, A/C and the rest are all functional. I still recommend a 3" body lift to anyone who might want to do this. By the time you get to putting the A/C together it will make life a lot easier. Spark plug changes and other maintenance would be easier, too. I went 2" and it was just enough to scathe by.

There were a bunch of expenses I hadn't planned on. The new transmission, transfer case and drive shafts weren't in the original plan. Overall, it makes sense to have done them seeing as it's a whole new drivetrain. Plan to add a tranny cooler, too if you don't have one. I'll post if/when the differentials let go! If you plan on doing this swap you should also plan to install a 1" radiator and (I suggest) e-fans along with it. It also made sense to do any brake work while in there because going straight and fast also means needing to slow down at some point. A front end alignment is necessary when it's all back together, too.

I couldn't resist the temptation build it up while in there. Wound up with a custom cam, lifters, rods, tuning, 2800 stall converter, FLT (overkill) transmission, custom driveshafts with an aluminum rear driveshaft and a front driveshaft with a GM 1500 yoke. The exhaust is true duals with no cats and to Woodbutcher, it's not a problem until it's a problem :geek: (I'll let you know next June how that goes)

This thing absolutely rips! It jumps onto the flow of traffic on the highway from 30-90mph in a few seconds and it really gets a lot of attention doing it. It's pretty funny to see the looks on other peoples faces when a lifted Astro tears up the road. I like it. A-lot!

People said I was nucking futs to do this project. Now, they're all totally into it. People comment on it every day and say things like, "I was never a van guy...that thing is awesome!" and "What is that? Is it new?". lol I love this rig!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Grats man, good to hear.
As for the emiss police,, you live there, you would know better than I.

Here I went to a shop I know, spoke with them first to get some answers so I was fairly sure before I took the test. Just the sniffer on a dyno, eyeball the parts are all there and go. No issue dropping the V8.

We don't do safety's here so they don't look around much unless they figure they can sell a repair. If they did my '97 wouldn't have a chance, that one they plug in the OBD II and look away. :lol:

Luck man and enjoy the sheeteatin' grin... :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found a complete LQ4 (iron LS truck block w/everything including the computer) to drop into my van. Been reading threads so much here...appreciate all the info on the board. Thank you.
Still a few questions as I'm gathering all I (believe to) need in order to make this as seamless as possible. Appreciate any insight here.

Have an '05 AWD that's mint condition and want to retain all the stock functionality. Considering a cam since I'll have to have it tuned anyway and eliminating the rear O2's to go with and X-pipe and duals but that's irrelevant to the concerns below.

A/C: Have to relocate the compressor to make it work on the new LS block. Checked the Alan Grove site and those brackets all refer to using a Sanden A/C compressor. Any experience here? Can I fit my compressor to their bracket or am I now running A/C lines to the donor's compressor?

Clearance: Are you guys all using 2" body lifts? Prefer to not do a body lift but need to know if it's necessary to fit the LS w/truck intake under the dog house?

Oil pan: Has anyone had success with a pan fitting into an AWD without fabricating one?

Differential bracket: Only seen one mention of this. What have you guys done up front to fit the LS block?

Intake: Concerned there isn't enough intake volume, especially once a V8 is in there. Thoughts or solutions?

Fuel: Is the 4.3 fuel pump enough to feed the V8?

Sooner I get the parts together, sooner it's done.
Thanks.
T
Hi, im considered the same swap for my 99 awd. How did your conversion go?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to make A/C lines.
And a lot of work to the oil pan, welding and cutting.
I have the original 05 fuel pump in mine, it's fine, intake
will be fine. I had to flash the ecm like 4 times because
the anti theft had a hissy fit with the new eng. I think
I set it to 0-0-0 or something like that. It's been a while now,
The oil pan was the worst part.
Does anyone sell oil pan that works .. See

61 - 75 of 75 Posts