Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to add an AUX input on the factory radio. I was going to do this on the 99 but I never got around to it. I figured as the front of this one is broke and the CD player skips it would be a good test. Never liked the FM modulators as they degrade the sound and I travel a lot which makes it hard to keep a clear channel. If you are in one area and can find an empty station that might work for you. This is still cheaper and doesn't require extra power.

Finished Product:
aux_input_stock_03Astro_radio.jpg

I found some instructions over here using Radio Shack part# 274-0246.
radioshack274-0246.jpg

As Radio Shack has been closing stores all over the place, it might be easier to get them online, here is a link to a similar jack on amazon. http://amzn.to/2q8LLhS
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthr ... ?p=3315388

Here are the wires that you need to attach to after removing the bottom of the radio.
P5200009edited.JPG

I used some CAT5 wire that I had laying around, removed 3 strands as you need 5 wires if you still want the CD player to work when you remove the 3.5mm male-male headphone cable. Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed.
P5200018edited.JPG

After removing the face, you can see where it has to be trimmed for the jack to fit. You won't be using the threaded ring that comes with the jack.
P5200010edited.JPG

Here it is trimmed. 16/64th drill bit for the hole.
P5200015edited.JPG

PCB board had to be trimmed as well, here it is trimmed and the jack installed.
P5200021edited.JPG

Hot glue behind jack to prevent it being pushed back when plug is inserted.
P5200024edited.JPG

Wires attached and working!
P5200025edited.JPG

Damn it, I didn't get a picture of the radio from the front, will do that soon.
Edit: Here it is from the front.
P5200029edited.JPG

If you are powering/charging your connected device(BT adapter/phone/tablet) from the vehicle, you may also need some ground loop isolation.
I bought a ground loop isolator from Radioshack as it was local and on sale. However to reduce wiring connections here is one that already has a 3.5mm plug and jack on it to simplify the wiring. https://amzn.to/2Ilsfat

You could also install these inside the head unit/radio so there wouldn't be any requirement to have them hanging around. You could also make your own using the transformers from old computer modems if you happen to have some around.

If you are looking for a double DIN upgrade, Metro makes a kit now:

Without the wiring harness https://amzn.to/332TXj4
With the wiring harness and antenna adapter https://amzn.to/33d6EYR

If you want to do away with the radio all together and use your own bluetooth receiver/amp see this post by Wimptech: $25 Bluetooth Sound System

While this has served me well, and is still working as intended, I really like having navigation/bluetooth built-in as it is with my other vehicles.
My future plan is to go with the double DIN metra kit Double DIN Install - Alpine ILX-207 - Metra Double DIN kit

·
Administrator
14,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope the pics are OK for everyone. Now of course if I keep the van, I will probably change the radio anyway. The way I look at it, it was a learning experience. I don't think you can find another $3 mod that is this cool :)

By the way, the CD player still works if you have the male to male cable removed from the jack.

·
Administrator
14,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to have it on the face of the radio, so it was really lucky that the circuit board in that spot has nothing else there. Then again with the broken buttons on this one, I'm sure that it's going to get replaced anyway. It was still a fun project to try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I sleeved the 5 wires with a piece of heat shrink coming out of the radio.
Grounded on the antenna screw.
I was basically eyeballing the internals of the jack instead of diagram. ( It wasn't that hard)

I was sort of worried the CD changing tracks would interfere but no it does not.

Picture has the model of radio.

Also mine is a 2001 LS Chevy Astro - with rear door speakers and tweets.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
AstroWill said:
So I wanted to add an AUX input on the factory radio. I was going to do this on the 99 but I never got around to it. I figured as the front of this one is broke and the CD player skips it would be a good test.
I found some instructions over here using Radio Shack part# 274-0246.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthr ... ?p=3315388
View attachment 8

Here are the wires that you need to attach to after removing the bottom of the radio.
View attachment 7

I used some CAT5 wire that I had laying around, removed 3 strands as you need 5 wires if you still want the CD player to work. Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed.
View attachment 6

After removing the face, you can see where it has to be trimmed for the jack to fit.
View attachment 5

Here it is trimmed. 16/64th drill bit for the hole.
View attachment 4

PCB board had to be trimmed as well, here it is trimmed and the jack installed.
View attachment 3

Hot glue behind jack to prevent it being pushed back when plug is inserted.
View attachment 2

Wires attached and working!

Damn it, I didn't get a picture of the radio from the front, will do that soon.
Edit: Here it is from the front.
View attachment 1
Awesome job and documentation of it. I'll actually try this in mine since I'm hating my pioneer that's in the van right now and if you got a hookup to an iPod in a factory, why bother having aftermarket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1995 Astro and it was the base model radio with just am/fm, so I went to the lkq and found a gm radio that had a cassette player and DNR. I went to wal mart and bought a aux converter that plugger in the cassette player and the DNR makes it sound pretty good the whole thing cost me about $25 and I still have the OE look!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the great detail. I'm looking to do this to my unit and have a question -
You mention "Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed."

So are you suggesting I reverse the orange and white when I solder them on. And then use the hooks ups shown inside the unit in the other pictures?

Thanks
Mrty

·
Administrator
14,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Martym said:
Hi,

Thanks for the great detail. I'm looking to do this to my unit and have a question -
You mention "Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed."

So are you suggesting I reverse the orange and white when I solder them on. And then use the hooks ups shown inside the unit in the other pictures?

Thanks
Mrty
Exactly, when I took this picture I had them hooked up wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks again. I recommend this to anyone considering it.
This fix took about 30minutes total - not bad for my first home electronics job.

One last question.
With the audio in plug installed, my cd player no longer works. I'm guessing its because we cut the black and white wires feeding the cd input and spliced in the aux plug in between. Is there a way we can make it switch back to the CD feed when wanted? Maybe by using an audio plug that has the wires jumped to create back the connection that is cut? Does this make sense? Any risk of shorting anything out?

Thanks
Marty

·
Administrator
14,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AstroWill said:
By the way, the CD player still works if you have the male to male cable removed from the jack.
If it is wired up the way I have it, when you remove the plug it connects the wires just like stock. The jack does this automatically

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,998 Posts
Excellent write up... even MORE excellent with such detailed photos! :rockon:

·
Administrator
14,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking good everyone, next I'm going to add bluetooth so music and navigation sounds from my phone will be through the factory radio.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts