Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,273 Posts
I wonder how much for just the spring hangers, should work nice for the composite to steel conversions.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Here is My setup... I like that design better for obvious reasons..

Was curious, anyway you could measure from top mount bolt to the bottom leaf mount bolt? I may buy these just to get rid of my two piece front shackles from belltech I have for lowering the van, and also have a little bit more adjustment... assuming they will give it enough rise. I quiet like the design.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That is perfect, I will order up maybe on Friday or next week. I measure and that is the same height I have currently. I wonder if the holes are shifted back at all from stock? I noticed with the flip kit it brought the wheel base closer to front and it has driven me nuts that the rear wheels are not centered in the wheel well. If it was just 1/2-3/4" that would make all the difference.

·
Banned
10,996 Posts
AstroWill said:
I wonder how much for just the spring hangers, should work nice for the composite to steel conversions.
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

May I suggest reading through the lengthy post topics on changing from glass to steel springs. It's NOT as simple as changing a couple of parts.

Several of us have done it and figured out the workarounds and watchoutarounds.

Lump

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Lumpy said:
kennysmoke said:
I'm really thinking of going this route myself... did you have to alter any other stock components? Your van looks great!
Not sure who you're asking. But for me, I altered essentially 100% of the stock components. I think CargoCrawler did as well.
Lump
Nooooooooo.....I'm still using the stock....ummmmm....no you're right. I replaced 100% of everything suspension related.

NOPE! Wait! I am using a few of the stock leaf springs in my frankenspring pack! Like 4 of the 9 leaves! :rockon:

I did paint them though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just ran across these shackles and hangers on Ebay and bought them immediately.. And so it begins. I have a 4" lift now. I guess spindles are next. Of course, if the spindles are being changed, I may as well do a coil lift. I'll get 37's on that thing, the way my fenders are trimmed. Who cares if I can turn.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Seems like if you lift it high enough, a LOT of concerns go away, like hitting your head when you walk under your van :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
The slider door only opened half way with the 4" lift because I use wheel adapters to make the tires flush with the body. I started the new lift last week and of course ran into complications. The rest of the parts arrived today. I should be done this weekend. I'll do a write up and post pics. This forum has helped me a lot, so I'd like to pass on what I've done, learned, and damaged.

=)

·
Banned
10,996 Posts
The stuff from Journey's has always confused me.

They sell a 2-3" lift kit and a 2-5" lift kit. I can't tell how they are lifting the front of the 2-5 that is any different than the 2-3. They don't state how tall the subframe spacers. I've never seen one more than 3 and they're not offering anything to boost the coils.

They sell a "Sub-Frame Spacer Kit" which is six pucks and six bolts for $98. That's a pretty insane markup. Not all their prices are so absurd. $24 for a brake line. $56 for an add-a-leaf pair. Those both seem reasonable.

At one time he was prototyping an upper leaf spring welded and gussetted plate that looked really strong. But I don't see that any more.

I agree with Cargo, the bumper extender looks pretty "shelf bracket".

In my Gen I, there's no xtra hardware required to move the bumper higher. Just drill new holes where you want the bolts to go. I know some or all Gen IIs have a little different mounting scheme at the front of the horns. Mine are open. Everything mounts to the sides of the horns.

For anybody contemplating their first lift from stock, if you're thinking of an assembled kit from anywhere (JOR or OLV), I always recommend going only 2" to start. You'll ALWAYS have to do that initial 2". Everything above that will rely on the initial 2". As is always pointed out, it's a hundred times less expensive to source the parts separately rather than buy a "lift kit". But some are more comfortable with the kit. That was my first lift. But just do the 2". When you want more, you will have gained the experience and confidence to say "Hey I've got a couple hours before lunch, I think I'll pop in a couple more subframe spacers and move the shackles down one hole".

Lump

21 - 40 of 61 Posts