Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission troubleshooting. 02 Astro automatic. Can anyone point me in the right direction or yo a resource that helps us learn how to use the live data of OBD2 scanners?

The transmission cycles through all the gears when no load, but starts slipping when a load is applied. It threw a code p0756-39 but has not thrown the code since I cleared it despite trans still slipping when a load is applied.

I've been playing around with an OBD2 scanner collecting live data and doing activation tests. I can hear a click when I toggle each solenoid on/off but this doesn't tell me if they are leaking.

When I cycled through the gears, I could hear a solenoid click when I went from 1-2, 3-4, and when I downshifted from 3-2 and 2-1. There was no click when shifting 2-3 or downshifting 4-3.

Live data says:
gear 1 = 1-2 on, 2-3 on, 3-2 off
gear 2 = 1-2 off, 2-3 on, 3-2 off
gear 3 = 1-2 off, 2-3 off, 3-2 on
gear 4 = 1-2 on, 2-3 off, 3-2 on

I have collected and saved lots of data but don't know what is relevant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should give more background. Transmission ran really well. No sign of a problem. Then suddenly van started running really shitty, limped along a bit and then died. Distributor rotor had come loose and was bouncing around. I replaced cap/rotor and van ran again. However, it lacked power when under load.

I've been operating under the gut feeling/belief that there is a good chance I'm dealing with an electrical issue triggered by massive uncontrolled sparks cause by loose rotor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts