Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
That's exactly what I did in my swap. I used the tuning valve wire since it was already ran through the firewall, I soldered and shrink wrapped the second fuel injector connector on. Not wanting to attempt removing the pin from the ECU plug without the proper tool, I cut a pin from the donor van plug and just slipped it into the empty hole in the existing plug, connecting the former tuning valve wire to it. I downloaded, printed, and studied the diagrams for both my van and the donor, it was pretty straightforward once I wrapped my head around it.

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
As Will reminded me during my swap, the fuel pressure is set by the regulator in the throttle body (you're going TBI, right?). I'm still running the CPI pump and letting the TBI regulator return any excess fuel to the tank. I've not had any issues with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
When I pulled the donor engine I cut the lines long and used compression fittings on the steel portions. I've not had any trouble with them so far, nor do I expect to.

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
It took me 2 tries to find a good one. The G20 donor i took the engine, transmission, computer and harness, the heads were junk. I brought them back and found a roller cam 350 with low miles, I ended up exchanging the heads and buying the shortblock, then putting the intake and exhaust from the G20 on it.. Pick n pull came through for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
The right one will come along. You'll find it.

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
My Y pipe is from an 89 full size pickup. I went with stock manifolds because that's all I've ever owned, and i wasn't looking to reinvent the wheel or squeeze every last ounce out of it. If you're considering headers i believe the part number is 68600.

I also bought the warranty on my engine. They sometimes offer a discount if you buy it, making it about the same price you'd have paid anyway. We get a warranty, they get credit for the sale, win win.

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
Off and running now! It won't be long... in hindsight.

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
I understand that reasoning VERY well. I wound up in a very similar situation with my swap too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts