Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I didn't make the PnP today but we did manage to weld the pinholes on the inside of the pan and work some JB weld into the outside seams. Once its dry and sanded you won't hardly notice the seams and it will not leak. I hope to paint it tomorrow. Chevy orange of course!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm still looking for an engine. Its been the wettest April here since the 40s and I've literally had ducks swimming in my driveway so I haven't put a lot of effort into it anyway.

Once it dries out I'll hit a couple of junkyards and find a good one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A small bit of progress. I got my motor mounts today. They're the cheapies but they don't seem too bad. I figure if I fill the gaps with some Permatex black it will help them hold up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
My van is in New Hampshire and I am in California for a few more weeks then when I get to NH I will dedicate 2 hours a day to working on it to get it running. Then I will take it to a custom exhaust shop to have them redo my exhaust so it will pass state inspection laws. Glad to see your making progress! Mark

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Cool. I bet you're anxious to get back to it. For now I'm planning to use the Y pipe from whatever I get the engine from and tie it in to my existing system.

I still haven't found an engine but we're going to try to get to PnP next weekend. In the meantime if I get a nice day this week I'll do the transmission. I have all the parts for that so its just a matter of getting it done.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Yeah pnp has a 1 year warranty package if you ask for it so if you install the engine and find it is junk in any way they will replace it so I suggest you buy the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts
My Y pipe is from an 89 full size pickup. I went with stock manifolds because that's all I've ever owned, and i wasn't looking to reinvent the wheel or squeeze every last ounce out of it. If you're considering headers i believe the part number is 68600.

I also bought the warranty on my engine. They sometimes offer a discount if you buy it, making it about the same price you'd have paid anyway. We get a warranty, they get credit for the sale, win win.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah, I'll definitely ask about a warrantee. I plan to crank it over on the stand and make sure it has good compression before it even goes in. I only want to do this once.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It turns out it's a 305 Camaro engine not a 350 but it was cheap and on the outside looks like its in pretty good condition. No oil leaks or anything like that. Supposedly it only has 65,000 miles so it should be pretty tight.

Once I get it on the stand I'll crank it over and see what the compression looks like and go from there.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It's ugly now and it's not exactly what I wanted but it's in my possession!

It has vortec heads so that's a pain in the butt. I have found a couple aftermarket aluminum intake manifolds that i can put a tbi on so its not a real big deal.

More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,417 Posts
So...
- You got the Oil Pan
- and Motor Mounts
- Planned on a 5.7 / LT
- Thread named 5.7 TBI

Then went & bought a 305... what's that, an LS ?
Not in the same era Gen-wise - just guessing ?

Good Luck - Popcorn is on order !!

21 - 40 of 91 Posts