Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,047 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
yes the passenger side of the AWD has no room for that style exhaust manifold due to the frame shape so I found the log style will fit on that side. Which is why he is using the log style. Your cylinder heads do not have both types of bolt holes ? I did not encounter this problem on my 91 cylinder heads.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The Vortec heads don't have the second hole. There's a little shop down the road so I'll take the manifold down there and have them put it on the drill press. Once that's done I can grind a little flat for the nut to land. I figured that it would probably be better to use a stud and nut on that hole.

Other than that everything seems to be moving along smoothly. I got the timing cover and it has a built in gasket so the only thing I'll be using out of the gasket set I bought is the water pump gaskets. I have both AC Delco coolant temp sensors and next I'm getting a new knock sensor so that will take care of everything that's hard to get to on the bottom end.

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
I know this has been discussed before - but isn't it about time your Thread title was changed permanently.

Re: 94 AWD 5.7 TBI project.

This is misinformation and I won't stand for it - one more post and I "REPORT" it.

Then it is the FBI - oh, wait - here's the number now... FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
I reported it - You'll be summoned to the Dean's office shortly...

so put out the smoke...

·
Super Moderator
7,047 Posts
I understand that reasoning VERY well. I wound up in a very similar situation with my swap too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Last week was our annual camping trip and the old 4.3 still has some giddy up. We had 8 people and all the camping gear and still breezed up the hill. My job almost got a lot harder though.

And here's a friendly reminder that in Colorado when the sign says 15 mph curve it means 15 mph!

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I'm still accumulating parts slowly but I'm almost there.

I went ahead and drilled the manifold myself and it came out pretty good. I used a couple washers and some JB Weld high temp to make the land. I also bought a 3' piece of stainless all-thread to make studs. It's been pretty hot here so I haven't got a lot done but now that it's cooling off a little I'll be picking up the pace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
cool glad to see progress, I am waiting for the storm to pass then I will get my 89 running and off to the exhaust shop. Then an alignment then I will need a safety inspection in Maine where it is registered

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Good to hear that yours is almost on the road. It's going to be awhile on mine. I haven't found a decent TBI yet plus a few odds and ends and I still have the transmission to build.

My wife wants me to get all these parts organized so I'll inventory everything I have so far and that will give me a better idea of what I still need.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts