Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I'm sure I'll find one. I've been watching the inventory at a couple yards and one will pop up eventually.
Still no luck on the TBI front but new circumstances have changed a bit.

My just over a year old tranny decided to smoke the band so #1 priority is do the V8 tranny first and get it in so at least we still have a vehicle. The Blazer is still waiting on a rear end, the four letter word has developed an engine knock and my son's Malibu got totaled by a hit and run driver and he is still getting jacked around by his insurance.

I plan to completely document my tranny built so expect lots of pictures.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
A quick update.
Forehead Chin World Smile Gesture

We took the van in for emissions today and it passed with no problem. While we were there I asked the guy about the V8 swap and what we needed to do. He told me that they don't care as long as it passes.

They check for the SEL, the catalytic converter, the gas cap and the sniffer. That's it.

I'm going to steal the EGR out of the Probe before it gets scrapped and plumb it into the port on the manifold that would be for the brake booster. Gotta love those Hydroboost brakes! That takes care of that problem. As long as it functions it'll pass emissions and nobody will ask why I have a Ford part on my engine. 😃

Now that the tranny is sorted and tax time is here I can start getting the rest of the parts that i need and as soon as the weather gets nice, turn some wrenches.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,947 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Parts acquisition has begun again.

Plastic wrap Plastic Event Transparency Snack

I'm so close to having everything I need. I still have to find a throttle body assembly but I did order 2 remanufactured flow matched Genuine GM injectors. I still need a throttle cable, bolts for the motor mounts to subframe and whatever exhaust parts to tie into the existing catalytic converter and O2 sensor.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
As the parts come in I realized that I need to do a parts inventory. In the next few days I'll be figuring out exactly what I have and what i still need.

Stay tuned. 😃

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Well hell! It looks like I'm back to square one. I finally had the chance to run a compression test and I have one dead cylinder and when i pulled the valve cover on that side to see if a valve was stuck I discovered that only the 3 front pushrods are oiling.

Fortunately if I use it for a core at PnP I'm only out $50, but what a pain in the backside. Since all of my parts are for a Vortec I'll try to pick up a 96-98 5.7 which I should have done to begin with.

As The Rockets said, "Oh Well". 😃

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Oh man, that really sucks. Though a $50 setback isn't too bad.
Yeah the engine cost me $100 and the JY core charge is $50 but I still have to buy an engine. I'm planning to scrap the Probe anyway so maybe I can work out a deal where they get my junk and I get a working engine for minimal cash. 😃

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
As the old saying goes "A bird in the hand can be very unsanitary".

It's looking more like I'm back to getting my hands dirty on the 5.0. One of these evenings when it's not blazing hot I'm going to drag the compressor out and figure out why #4 cylinder is dead.

I pretty much ruled out valves because all the rockers rise and fall as they should. That leaves rings or head gasket. I'm not planning a major rebuild but rings, bearings and head gaskets should tighten it up and are relatively cheap and easy.

Of course that's assuming that I don't find any real damage inside. It turned smoothly with no knocks or rattles when I did the compression test so I'm optimistic.

I still plan on getting a 350 and probably dropping the 305 in the Blazer someday but for now my savings are dwindling and my van really really needs a V8. So Carpe Avis. 😃

81 - 91 of 91 Posts