Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 98 Astro with a fried BCM (there is a physically burnt component on the back of the BCM board), resulting in no-start due to passlock failure.

Rather than mess with resistors, re-learning, etc, would it be possible to flash the PCM to just disable passlock (allowing any BCM board to work) & does anyone heave a premade bin file that is already set to do this?

Edit: Apparently there is no BCM in a 98 van, but the module that burnt is still part of the anti-theft system???

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
964 Posts
That is a great idea. Unfortunately, I cannot help, but I am interested in what you might find.
I am really curious as to what might be the failure to cause an obvious burnt part on that module. To me, that would ba a significant concern, depending upon what component failed (burned).
I am sure there are several others who might be interested in that possible Passloc modification.
Please keep us informed.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great idea. Unfortunately, I cannot help, but I am interested in what you might find.
I am really curious as to what might be the failure to cause an obvious burnt part on that module. To me, that would ba a significant concern, depending upon what component failed (burned).
I am sure there are several others who might be interested in that possible Passloc modification.
Please keep us informed.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
This van is a 'salvage special' that I bought for $600 off the web, seeking to avoid the present insane pricing for used vehicles that actually run.

The fried component is one of the small rectangular surface-mount parts on the back-side of the BCM from the chips and such. I can't tell what it is, other than likely a resistor or diode - it's not marked (even if it was marked, it's burnt).

The guy I bought it from claims this resulted from an attempt to jumpstart it backwards, and that he tried 'some stuff' (including a used but nonmatching BCM) to fix it... It also looks like some of that 'stuff' included messing with the passlock wires near the ignition switch (they are all stripped of insulation the last ~1/4in before the plug) - which makes me think something was shorted out while messing with it....

In any case, I'm thinking if I can get a BIN from either here or pcmhackers, I can try that... If that doesn't work I'll go to Pull-a-Part & get a PCM, BCM & iginition-cyl mount with non-chewed-up wires still attached out of the same vehicle, so it becomes a bolt-on/bolt-off project...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts