Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1995 GMC Safari AWD)

Since there's certainly no bolt-on options for aftermarket radiators for our vans, I'm wondering what the community has done for this. Has anybody retrofitted a similar aftermarket radiator to their van for better cooling performance?

Regards

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure radiators are interchangeable from all years. I went with an all aluminum 3 row from Ebay. This one had better mounting brackets than the others. I was pleasantly surprised with it. Welds are pretty good. Time will tell, but it's been installed for a few months now without issue.

Ran into a small clearance issue on the install, but loosening, then turning the steering line out of the way did the trick.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh fantastic, I actually didnt think to check ebay. I only checked summit and after seeing no results I assumed it was a bust.

EDIT it looks like theres a discrepency in the oil cooler connection location between 1995 (mine) and 1996+ vans, which these radiators are available for. Will have to look into re-routing the oil cooler line around the upper rad hose :/

·
Registered
557 Posts
You could always delete the oil cooler and it would be a non-issue.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The transmission cooler fittings are also different on 95 and earlier. When I installed mine I just went to the hardware store and got the correct adapter for it.

The top radiator mounts also wouldn't fit correctly. My 95 used the rubber bushings on the posts. The 04 I had didn't use them, so that might be a difference. I was using e-fans/no fans initially with the eBay radiator. When I switched back to a mechanical fan I had to trim the shroud up to get it to fit over the posts. I think this was partly because the transmission lines with the adapters tipped the radiator forward.

I deleted my oil cooler before I installed the eBay radiator so no comment there.

I don't remember if I posted any pictures in my build thread or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts