Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive lowered the price to 1,150 thats pretty much my bottom dollar I will be posting more pics of what it looks like as of today so theres no suprises!

but i forgot to mention it has drilled and slotted rotors..probably pretty rusty by now lol
the gear oil has been changed in the rear diff

Hi Guys Im suprised I never Noticed this forum when I drove this van. I am sellling it because it has not been driven for about 5 years and I want to buy a membership into the global information network. Anyway here the story, youll love it

family bought it brand new in 86 it was maroon with two bench style seats in the back, clear windows, held 8 people. at about 125k miles the engine blew in 93. I grew up in this van. so it sat for about 6 years until my dad decided to have the engine rebuilt, and resurected it for my bro and I when we were 16. My bro bought a 76 cutlass, and i kept the van.

I joined a van club and began the modding process, once I dropped about 10-15grand in repairs and modifications I decided to show it a couple of times in some small events, and I won.

In its hay day, it was a gleaming beast with a candy apple red paint job, aluminum hopster wheels and 2 15 inch subs among other things. Its got me through highschool and college, definelty a great conversation peice. I bought a new car in 2004 and the van was retired, and so it has been on its second long period of sitting and is ready for someone to ressurect it again.

here are its high points
#1 low mileage, it has about175k on it, the engine is rebuilt with maybe 50k on it.
#2 Interior, The headliner is gone but the seats and carpet are nearly the best you can find anywhere, especially the seats, a nice deep maroon color to them all. Its never been in an accident
#3 Tinted windows, its a 5% limo tint
#4 rebuilt transmission with a B&M shift "improver kit" for the 700r4 its not a tru shift kit but makes the shifts alot snappier maybe only 10k miles on the tranny
#5 It has power windows and locks, although they arent working like they are brand new, they still work
#6 Beleive it or not it has remote start and keyless entry, with an alarm
#7 15 Inch aluminum "hopster" wheels with nealry new tires (have been inside protected for the last few years)
#8 Custom dual exhaust with the angled stainless tips with 2 26 inch glass packs and not cats, yes its loud and mean as hell
#9 Chrome unrusted front bumper, rear chrome bumper has some rust
#10 Euro tailights
#11 clear front corners and the "diamond" headlights (brand new not even installed)
#12 Bug deflector sheild
#13 A Holley 502-4 throttle body with a 1.5 inch aluminum spacer and bored out intake manifold
#14 A short ram intake with a k&n filter
#15 Pioneer cd player
#16 6 disc changer
#17 a tachometer
# and probably a bunch of other stuff im forgetting
#17 no rust

I said its a great project van heres why....
1.as soon as i upgraded the tbi unit i noticed it ran rich, and later found out it was because there was a leak in an o-ring on the left injector, i was in college with another car and 175 miles from where it sat at my folks house so i never got around to fixing it, i was too busy. so it sat, and sat. until now.
2.The battery died and it needs a new starter which i have but its not installed, so it does not run as of right now
3. i figured since the body and transmission are in such great shape that it would be perfect for a v-8 project
4. as of now i have one picture so ill dig up some more with maybe a video or 2 on youtube you can look at

5. I know i could easily sell this for 2500-3000 running in its prime
6. But I figured 1300 is a great start, even if you wanted it as a parts van.
7. If your seriously interested send me a message and we will exchange numbers
8. I want this van to go to some folks that appreciate it and treat it more than just a soccer mobile.
it is located on 7011 mansion road in chatham Il if you want to mapquest that, its a rural location.

like i said more pics to come

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
Sounds like a great Van...........wish I could pull the trigger on it. I hope 355 sees this before it gone..... :chevy:

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
That's a sweet one. To bad I'm not in the market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
webcat said:
Anything wrong with the V6 ?
Hi webcat, no nothigns wrong with it besides the fact is hasnt been started in about 4 years! lol

My email is [email protected]

i just want to emphasize that as of now it does not run! it needs a replacement o-ring on the throttle body jet number one, and then a new battery. but if i make a sale that doesnt mean you have to take it right there on the spot Ill take a check from whoever wants it and let you come and get it at your convenience. Like i said more pictures to come!

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
LEVE said:
Wow... I'll be in Nauvoo Illinois in two weeks... That would be a fun van, I bought an '86 new and it was a good rig. Now if I could only get it to follow me home. :mrgreen:
That's not to far from me also. Any more pics? Or possibly fixing the facebook links?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok ill be in springfield this week and ill take some pics of it in its current condition, oh and it has a aooga horn lol, i have it hooked up to where it has a normal tone horn that honks at the same time as the aooga horn, so it was pretty loud.

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
Bump for a great looking Van! Wish I had the money I would love to have it! Good luck. :chevy:

·
Registered
65 Posts
TJ? Holy crap dude its Chris from high school and the van club! I cant believe your getting rid of the van, or that i found you on here. Im in the market for a new van, ive seen this van grow into what it is since like 1998, Im in florida now, dude if there is anyway i can figure it out how to get it here its sold! Other than that how has life been treating you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bringing this back from the dead and giving you guys an update. First, apologies for leaving you all hanging.

To make a very long story short both my folks had strokes in 04 and 05 and my mom passed away in 2011. The van was not sold for another year. In 2012 my dads house was going into foreclosure and the only way to cover all the backtaxes was to sell the house. It was a big mess but a few months before I had to come back and help with that I found out my dad sold the van to a plumber I think for $100 bucks. I was not pleased but can't be mad at my dad because he can't talk really since his stroke. So we sold the house and all is well now. Dad and I are great and he has a new house now.

Except I have no idea of the fate of this van. When it was sold it had a ton of new parts in it and the title and even a very nice stereo. I only heard from my sister it was sold but I couldn't get the guys name so I just let it go since I was in Kentucky and helping my friends chaotic startup company get going.

I've been in Miatas and classic minis for 10 years now. But I do miss the vanning life and I wondered the other day if I can find out what happened to my old girl.

I'm probably going to talk to my sis and visit my dad to see if any old registrations are laying around but I wanted to reach out to everyone here and see if anyone has spotted a clean safari in Central Illinois.

As long as it hasn't been scrapped or wrecked I'm going to see if I can bring it back home and ressurect all those great memories.

I know I could just buy another one but it wouldn't be the same.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts