Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Robert, from Spain. New to this forum. Hi to everybody. First, sorry for my horrible english.

Recently i bought this model. As always, you buy one thing and some work after, reality is different. This post is about trim panels. Doors have water leak and panels are in a horrible state. Last week i was measuring and drawing to make it new with help of a cnc machine. Not for dutch doors.

Idea is make them from 2.5mm MDF. In this case, i will install a 6x9" speaker instead 6.5". As you can see, every detail is drawed but i plan put some screws in plain sides to make installation more rigid. As soon as i cut and test, i will made drawings public for everybody.

This forum is a great help for everybody and i want to contribute in my way.

Font Television Parallel Rectangle Design
Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Logo

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to do this same project then wrap the wood with a half inch of foam and upholster it with white vinyl. Currently learning SolidWorks so I can make the parts and then translate them to the CNC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site!

Looks like a good plan, can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks. Will take some pics before, during process and after and post them.

I am going to do this same project then wrap the wood with a half inch of foam and upholster it with white vinyl. Currently learning SolidWorks so I can make the parts and then translate them to the CNC
Learning is a good activity but if your doors are like mine ones, i have no problem to public them. First version could be not too accurate. I´m sure will need some fixes...

Do your doors have any leak as mine ?

Thanks

·
Registered
'93 Astro LT Ext w/ FE3 (RWD), 7 Passenger, Dutch Doors, Med Teal, 4.3 V6
235 Posts
Thanks! Templates like this will be great for extending the life of these vans!
I would love to have a tried and true template for a do-it-yourself headliner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks! Templates like this will be great for extending the life of these vans!
I would love to have a tried and true template for a do-it-yourself headliner.
Yes, this is the type of things nobody shares. My headliner needs also restoration. I planned make a new one at first, but....i will try to restore it with fiberglass and if it gets rigid enough, glue new fabric. Will see the result. I see your van hav dutch doors. i´m sorry, but my work won´t do you any good.

Now, if i promise something i´m im debt. Here it is. Reinforcement for a pair of 6x9 JBL Stage2 9634 sepeakers as you can see. If you want more sound, it´s possible to use original plates to install another pair of 6.5 round speakers, but i think this should be enough.

Output device Plumbing fixture Surveillance camera Audio equipment Gadget
Automotive tire Camera lens Output device Audio equipment Rim

Data storage device Measuring instrument Automotive wheel system Auto part Tool

Speaker fits, lets see if plate fits in door too. I will post template as soon as i test. It must fit in the hole because goes inside. Glued to panel, but inside the door. Sorry, i don´t know how to explain it in best way.

Could be a good idea to seal panel+reinforcement with any type of varnish o somethin like that to avoid problems with humidity. MDF does not like humidity at all.

Time flies, but will try to cut one panel to make first test this afternoon-evening

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Finally i cut first panel version. Needs to adjust some things.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Speaker mount too....but need more work on it. Finally, i decided make a plate similar to original riveted to door. Speaker, panel and grille screwed together to four rivet nuts on the plate.

During draw, i thought that making two independent pockets to store (who knows what) could be a good idea. Have 8cm deep available and can be partially covered with a piece of cargo net.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electronic instrument Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Below you can see the state of original panel.

Road surface Grey Flooring Flagstone Asphalt

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,489 Posts
Oh my, I wish I had the skills back then with Acad to redo my inner panels like you did.
When I had the front doors apart on our Gen I '92, I thought something similar could be done there in the bottom front corner for a nice Hi Perf. 6 1/2".

1529 Drvr Dr - Overall - Regulator

1529 Drvr Dr - Overall - Regulator
We are stuck with Dash Crashers that are nigh impossible to... well... anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring Machine

A 6.5" just in this place ? ... I don´t know if ther is enough room to insert speaker. They use to have abot 6-7 cm deep. We need to know how much it is when window is down. If not, we can make a overpanel mount and be sure it doesn´t bother foot of passenger. Right side is not so wide as driver is.

Sure you know it, but if not, take a look to this video.

I´m afraid i shoud re-make these panels too. I don´t promise nothing but...

This weekend was lost about working on van. I was preparing a 25kva generator for possible power outages this autumm-winter. I don´t understand anything about this crazy situation to which European politicians are leading us.. Sorry for offtopic.

Hope i could make last version of panels and publish templates next week.Left is almost done, but left is a slightly different.

About top dash crashers...really there is nothing to do. I saw a lot of videos and conclude that the only intelligent (and cheap) thing we can do is cover the entire dash.

After researching a lot, i found this company in EEUU... Custom Molded Interior Auto Parts

But i didn´t see any for a ´92.

...be continued.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts