·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Rockridge said:
Awesome job so far.
Thanks

markmitch said:
When you welded the shock mounts on the axle did you do it with the assembly in it or not I ask because I was told one should never weld the rear diff with the guts inside of it due to the heat hurting the bearings and seals. I wish to do some welding on one in the future to change out the way GM designed the leaf spring attachments.
Yes left everything in. The shock mounts were far enough away if you weld one piece let it cool completely then the other side.

dcsleeper said:
LOVE the little dollies!
They brought the lower control arms 1.5" above the floor. Didn't have to lift the body as high to clear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Finishing up on the air cleaner assembly, still need the end piece. The hardest part was making sure I could get to everything I needed to without taking it off. Like oil dipsticks and brake reservoir and still shut the hood. I used a air filter from the Tahoe. Got lucky again the Tahoe elbow with temp sensor and air filter service indicator along with a silicon 90 worked perfect. I could have made it easier by using a K&N filter but I wont put that crap filter on anything. No I'm not concerned about not having cold air to it.

Now for oil fill, possible passenger side valve cover?

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
Nice work - fab stuff and all - we all hope your intake works out.
Not many that draw from that engine compartment do...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
sixsix said:
Nice work - fab stuff and all - we all hope your intake works out.
Not many that draw from that engine compartment do...
Thanks. The reason Im not worried is when I did the lift and had the 4.3. I used the stock air box but took the cold air duct of because no way would have fit. It sucked under hood air all summer and winter. No issues. Hope your not right this time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
markmitch said:
Why do you think K&N filters are crap? just curious what you knw that I may not about them.

I've had them in the past and always had some light dust in the air box and hoses after the filter. I thought it was me not getting it set in just right. For 2 filters the same size and 1 flows more air it has to have larger space in the filter material to do that or more pleats. In this video the K&N does not have more pleats or is any larger than the rest. So it must have larger space and that can't trap small dirt particles.
I did look at a replacement K&N and its is smaller than paper filters. About 1.5 in height and 1/2" in diameter for normal duty filters. Heavy duty paper are 1.25" larger in diameter.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,947 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Moving along. Maybe get it started today. I want see if I need to fix anything up to this point before I button it up. Air cleaner housing is done except paint. Tahoe Rad hoses are in, only had to trim the upper. Need to finish up a little wiring for the fans. Exhaust is almost in but only to the mufflers. If it starts and runs then Start on the Transfer case wiring. I have it done just route it in the van and find a place for the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The 246Transfercase is wired up. All tucked away and read mostly ready. Have 2wd hi, 4wd hi, and 4auto. Just 1 wire Im not sure about. Some how the TCCM needs to know that the trans in in Neutral. I have a green wire f15 from the orange TCCM plug. I believe thats the one but cant confirm it. If anyone knows I sure would be appreciate it.

Last pic is where I thinking about putting the switch. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you cut off the left part of the bezel, where the neutral indicator light is, you can fit that switch into the spot where the lower part of the center A/C vent is, like so:

dash-center.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
gavio said:
If you cut off the left part of the bezel, where the neutral indicator light is, you can fit that switch into the spot where the lower part of the center A/C vent is, like so:

I LIKE THAT! I didnt even think about that. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You're welcome... I made it more elaborate than is absolutely required - I added a second cross piece to the surrounding dash bezel because I wanted it to look just so... But you could just block off the lower part of the duct and simply replace the lower vent with the switch....

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
gavio said:
You're welcome... I made it more elaborate than is absolutely required - I added a second cross piece to the surrounding dash bezel because I wanted it to look just so... But you could just block off the lower part of the duct and simply replace the lower vent with the switch....

Good luck!
Oh you used the switch as the filler where the lower vent was. No wonder I couldn't find a blank for the vent was today at the pnp.

For your Tcase to go into 4low does the trans need to be put into Neutral? If so how did you wire that? That is the only wire I need to do. But I can not find a wire diagram for a 99 Tahoe. I know its a green wire F15 on the Tccm to the pnp switch. I dont know if the wire is power, signal or completing a ground. Would you know?

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
Bigforkg said:
... For your Tcase to go into 4low does the trans need to be put into Neutral? If so how did you wire that? That is the only wire I need to do. But I can not find a wire diagram for a 99 Tahoe. I know its a green wire F15 on the Tccm to the pnp switch. I dont know if the wire is power, signal or completing a ground. Would you know?
I wonder if the info is available in a '99 Tahoe Owners manual ? ... he may chime in tho.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
For your Tcase to go into 4low does the trans need to be put into Neutral?
Yes, it did.... I don't have the 233 any more (I switched to a 231), but back when I installed the electronic shift, I did a writeup, and it talks about that very thing...

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=61033

I'm pretty sure you need to do the exact same thing to hook up the 236

21 - 40 of 66 Posts