Featuring "new" catalytic converter, mass air spec & parts. (Where new = under 5,000 miles/1 year of use).

Interior: light tan-beige. Non-smoker. No third-row bench. Cloth second-row bench and two front captain's chairs spotless. Ceiling felt/landscape spotless. Floor carpeting pretty close to. Minor usage-scuffing on steering wheel and pedals. Minor heat-sunlight splitting on driver's door interior, about the size of a deck of playing cards. Minor fabric split on driver's sun visor, about a square inch.

Even the trivial things work. Most interior lights. Overhead spotlights. Audiocassette player works.

(Well, the right blinker doesn't work. You have to open the barn doors to get at the rear blinker.)

Under the hood: assorted ages via regular maintenance. No fluid leaks except rear brake line. New aforementioned Air-Mass-Conv. Air conditioner probably does not work. (We haven't turned it on this century.)

Exterior: GMC brown, the kind that looks gray-ish in gloomy light. Body above the rocker panels almost spotless. A few scratches but nothing that can't be buffed out. There is one spot on hood that looks like those rainbow oil-n-water spots.

Exterior locks on passenger front and passenger slider are broken/frozen. Those open just fine (from both outside and in) when the door has been unlocked from the inside. Rear doors are barn-door style. First rust on the external hinges of the rear doors. Their lock broken/frozen.

Below the rocker panels ... um.

Three good tires and one bald one. Two of the actual wheels have been replaced, so are less than 5 years old.

Noticeable rust on rocker panels.

Brake-line leak.

Core support failure.

Frame separation.

My longtime faithful mechanic has been with this 25-year-old van for most of its life and was willing to replace the bald tire. He came back with a hand-jack and demonstrated the change of plans. If you've ever peeled a banana, you can guess what happened when they gingerly lifted the front corner. Most of the car went up with the jack. The bumper did not go with it. For obvious reasons, they weren't gonna go under that.

And so my longtime faithful mechanic said those painful words, "It needs to be retired. Today. It's not safe to drive."

(Well, you know us van fans. I drove it 750 miles after that.)

In retrospect there was some warning. I try to tow using flatbeds rather than 2-wheel tows. The last flatbed tow-truck driver I had mentioned that because of a 2-tire tow from some time before, "There's mushrooming on the tow points."

I wasn't able to secure another van because [life, reasons].

I had hoped it would at least last one more winter. But once the brakes sprang a leak, well, you know the rest.

My longtime faithful mechanic wisely recommended a junkyard he trusts. He knew, as did I, that no one else must be allowed to buy my poor beauty intact. They would say the same thing I did: it feels crisp and tight; it looks almost like showroom; and above all, handles as perfectly as it did 25 years ago. And the next buyer wouldn't have my longtime faithful mechanic present to implore said buyer to please junk it.

So I will tell all of you. It is going to a pull-off yard. Professional pickers like this place. The good stuff gets picked up quickly, plus you have to pull it in person, yourself.

If you think you can use some nice parts, you may want to show up within, say, two days. I'm not kidding. Or at least beg your forums fellows who live nearby to grab it for you. (Metro Detroit area)

Seriously. If you snooze, you lose.

Here it is:

Website: U-Pull Self Serve Salvage Yard - Sterling Heights | US Auto Supply

Facebook: US Auto Supply of Sterling Heights

US Auto Supply
Sterling Heights location (Metro Detroit)
7575 18 1/2 Mile Road between Mound Road and Van D y k e (at the Van and 18.5 Mile roundabout)

Van D y k e is also called M-53.

And that's how I, "Heartbroken" got my username. If not for salt rot, that vehicle should have lasted to 300,000 or more.

Ay, well. These things happen.