Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple 2002 Astro vans that I need to start becoming my own mechanic for. My mechanical knowledge is obsolete, but Youtube is a game changer.

In researching OBD2 scanners, it seemed like getting a bidirectional scanner was a no-brainer. However, when investigating the Innova site, it showed that their bidirectional functions do not work on an 02 astro. Is this due to Innova not supporting 02 astro or 02 Astros not supporting bidirectional scanning?

With this in mind, I'm open to recommendations of which scanners offer the best band for the buck for 02 Astro owners/mechanics.

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,357 Posts
I am not familiar with the Innova line. I have the old bulky GM-Tech-2 diagnostic system.
With respect to the OBDII system, there is nothing different about the 02 version, from the rest of the OBDII vehicles . The OBDII is an industry standard, so there should be no reason for it to not work on the 02, unless it does not work on the other years also.
I would suggest you contact Innova and ask.
Is it that they do not support bi-directional communication on any of the OBDII vehicles?
Surely they are not singling out just the 02 model year. How about 1996 thru 2001, and 2003 and 2005?

Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
With respect to the OBDII system, there is nothing different about the 02 version, from the rest of the OBDII vehicles . The OBDII is an industry standard, so there should be no reason for it to not work on the 02, unless it does not work on the other years also.
I'm far from an authority here, but my observations do not mesh with your conclusion. While OBD2 may be an industry standard, I don't have to look far to see that not all scanners and not all post 96 vehicles are able to utilize all the functionality OBD2 offers.

What I need is for someone to verify that they have successfully utilized OBD2s bidirectional functionality on an 02 or older Astro. Have they been able to make the windows go up and down with a bidirectional scanner? Or in my case, could I use one to test components like say the transmission shift solenoids?

According to the following page, if you enter in an 02 astro, it shows ALL the OBD2 functions that the Innova scanners can and cannot access on an 02 astro. Bidirectional is not available on an 02 Astro with any of their scanners.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,261 Posts
I seem to recall reading that, but not sure why I would need it for this problem.
You wouldn't need it for this problem, I was just inquiring about the capabilities of the tool ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts