Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Blown Head Gasket. Decisions Decisions.

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 · (Edited)
A heater sensor failed on my Astro. It overheated. Lots of white smoke pouring out of the hood.

Blown head gasket.

Decisions...🤦‍♂️

Ideally, I'd like a new/rebuilt engine. Or i could just replace the head gasket. I did some reading around here and I like the marine engine option by Rapido Marine.

Im not sure what would be involved with this swap, as far as labor is concerned. i wont be doing it.

I'd love to keep my van, and have it be strong again. But i'm considering junking it, if the cost for this is impractical.

What would you experienced van owners do?

#2 ·
So much of this decision is based on your wants, talent level, budget. Marine engine??? Why. If mine van were to require any major engine work I would replace it all. Not just a long block but everything. Not doing your own labor I would be unhappy if I paid a mechanic to replace anything then next month had to pay him again to go back in and fix a transferred old component. I already have more money in my van than it’s worth. I do so because I like my Astro. I have a tendencies to agree with Music man that I might put a carbureted v-8 in it. I would go that route because I understand carbureted engines. (Old guy here) I had a 99 that went 290 thousand I did not rebuild it. Frame rust, not worth the expense. My 2002 has 127 K if it blew tomorrow it would get a new small block v-8 carbureted. So much is what you want. Best wishes and keep us posted.

#3 ·
What would you experienced van owners do?
It really depends on your budget, condition of van, and who will be doing the work.

* 1st option: I'd try an inexpensive chemical solution.
I had great luck with Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer with my 2000.
It's not 100%.. but has excellent reviews and success rates for many.
Seem worth a try (considering the alternative)
Mine was a small leak. A year and 10,000 miles later, it's still fixed.
They claim fix is permanent.

Are you sure it's a head gasket leak, and not an intake gasket leak?
This is quite common and easy enough to repair.
I can't actually say for certain if this was my case either.. just that the sealer worked.

* 2nd option: I'd pull the engine and replace it with a carbureted V8.
Simple, easy, inexpensive.. fantastic results.
You don't have to be "old school" to run a carb.. just put it on.. they work.
Your state emissions however, will decide if this is an option for you.
The fuel-injected route requires pulling harnesses, controllers, and doing programming.
Carbureted route requires dealing with the transmission (electronic controlled)

* 3rd option: just pull the engine and rebuild it.
Not that hard or expensive (unless you pay someone else to do all the work)

* 4th option: Replace with already rebuilt engine.
If shop is utilized to install it.. make sure they supply it as well.
This way you're covered under warranty.

* 5th option: Sell or junk van (or use it for parts)

Actually, I've done both the above 1 and 2 options.
In each case.. it was a solution that worked for me.

Good luck

#4 ·
repost

repost

Thanks for this. Something i don't understand though: If i went with an engine rebuild, does that include a new head? For example I was reading about that marine engine replacement (not that im set on that) and that's the engine block. But with a blown head gasket, the head is possibly warped or cracked etc.

So the terminology confuses me. Do I need to get a new engine, and then source a new head?

also, any particular carbureted v8? I'm in CA so not sure about the emissions. Do you think if i sourced a v8 and had a shop install, it would be north of $5k?

#5 ·
The qualifying terms are 'long block' (rebuilt block with rebuilt heads) and 'short block' (just a rebuilt block, you supply the heads).
You can buy rebuilt heads separately and put them on a rebuilt short block.
Just depends on what you find out there. Buying it all as a long block from one vender/shop simplifies warranty issues.

#6 ·
Probably not a problem with a 93 as far as emissions, but you would have to check with your state.

Also, there was someone posting here about how Rapido Marine wouldn't stand behind their engines, so take that for what it's worth and be careful out there.

Lastly, are you sure you blew a headgasket? You can get a lot of steam coming out even if it was just overheated.

#7 ·
Well i was told that the compression was bad and that there was fluid mixing together. Oil in the coolant or vice versa. Cant remember which.

Thanks for the tip about the Marine stuff. Probably wont go that route.

I just talked to my mechanic and he said there would be some red tape to put in a V8. Some authority would need to sign off on it or something....he said something about that typically being something people do out of state. Im in California. Not sure if thats totally accurate.

#10 ·
You're in California... forget the V8 upgrade.
Too many hurdles... and you need to know what can and can not be done.

You can buy complete "long block" engines (with heads) and likely full warranty
You can buy "short blocks" (without heads) which opens up possible issues.
Whatever you buy, it will need to be California compliant.

A complete engine is a convenient option, but again will need to pass California laws.
Rebuilding what you have is probably the route I would choose.
Of course heads would be sent out and checked for cracks, and if good built as necessary.
Much of the expense is labor... but at least you know everything fits and works.
No surprises.

#11 ·
Thanks my mechanic agreed. He had experience with something similar and said it was a nightmare.

He did quote me for a new 4.3 V6 out the door installed at just shy of $8k. Its going to cost a fortune anyway to pull the head apart and check it all out, and who knows what the results would be if it needs to be shaved etc etc. My gut leans towards just putting a fresh one in, if I can make it work $ wise.

Its surprising that there are rally no decent cars in my area in the 5k range. Sign of the times I guess. FOr example I saw a newer Astro van, guy was asking $6k, and it had over 200k miles on i and he even said the engine needed work.

Seems like everything in that price range around here is busted. So when i look at the cost for a brand new motor....seems like a better option anyway. Thats how i'm leaning right now.

hmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.