Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a reliable diagram for the brake lines on a 2003 AWD astro?

I'm replacing all the lines and ABS right now. The lines are fine to copy the originals, but I want to be sure everything was connected to the ABS correctly before.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure there are some pictures around here somewhere, but the odds are they are connected correctly, should be pretty obvious.
I saw some old posts about ABS diagrams but the links seem to no longer work unfortunately. Is it obvious because if they're connected incorrectly the brakes wouldn't work anyways?

Thanks for all your help! I'm new to all this, but it sure is fun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm in the process of bleeding my brakes after replacing all my lines with cupro-nickel diy lines. It was a royal pain, but wasn't going to not do it after seeing the condition they were in. Here's a diagram I found that looks accurate, though on my 2005 there was a valve/sensor in between the master cylinder and the ABS unit that is not shown here. Good luck and post your results.
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,134 Posts
^ the proportioning valve is between the master cylinder and the ABS unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That diagram adds up to what was there prior (except for the proportioning valve as you all mentioned). The best diagram I could find online is this one, which also lines up with what was there prior. Now I'm just hoping I don't need a new proportioning valve...

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Organism Font Auto part Art Circle

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,210 Posts
There should be no need to replace the proportioning valve. The only moving piece in it would be the warning light switch. No reason to disassemble it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There should be no need to replace the proportioning valve. The only moving piece in it would be the warning light switch. No reason to disassemble it.
Even if the switch is broken and triggering the ABS light?

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,134 Posts
If that's the piece that's throwing the code, then yes. But they almost never break or fail.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,079 Posts
DRP replaces the function of the proportioning valve, so it's more of a combination valve or brake pressure differential switch. So if the brakes are repaired and bled properly and the light is still on for that reason, the plunger could be stuck, then you have to have someone help you manually bleed the right rear brake to get the plunger to move back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts