Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have size 12 shoes/boots and it's real tight in the pedal areas. Has anyone moved just the brake pedal towards more to the left? I have a real possibility of stepping on both pedals at once. Like I've been told to use the search. I'll do that now.

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
Check Augidog's solution:

Here's a quick pic:
Footwear Jeans Shoe Black Comfort

·
Registered
1999 AWD Safari, 1995 Astro 5-speed
726 Posts
I have size 13 shoes and in one application my solution was to pull the cover off the pedal and just nip off the one side with a cut off wheel.

Eliminated the catching your foot trying to come up off the gas pedal and hit the brake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sixsix - Nice. Thanks. I didn't think about shortening it, then shift it. Up and left would really get that out of the way. Drilling and bolting down might be difficult without taking the brake pedal apart. Chop, shift and weld will be easier and might be my way since I know a guy who has welders. But this me ideas.

tinworm - How much was left after the cut off of the brake pedal? I suppose I could have metal welded to the nub and extended it to the left. Then slap on some grip tape on the metal.

I think cutting the brake pedal a bit then weld some metal higher up and to the left might be the ticket. Or drill holes and bolt on the metal on top of the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1999 AWD Safari, 1995 Astro 5-speed
726 Posts
It was about half the width, never noticed any problem using it after.

I didnt need to add any material to improve function

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,886 Posts
I simply pulled mine to the left a little

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
Augidog is a nice fellow, electric biker, loves our Vans, 4:20r, miss him a lot.
He prolly would not mind you "conversating" ( we used to call it messaging... ) w/ him here.

Brake pedal is not 'hard' - should be able to drill thru it easily. Doubt he removed it.
Removing carpet n' stuff is gonna' be a mess and HOT.
I do not know how "music" bent his w/o heat.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I wear a 13 and while I wouldn't describe the foot well as spacious, I've never had an issue with "fat fingering" the pedals.
I love long drives in my van, with CC on I have some decent leg room and with the armrest down nice and hunkered down for the haul.
I've definitely driven cars with tighter pedal spacing and yes siree Bob had issue hitting one pedal at a time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AstroOafAdventurer - I should also have mentioned I broke my ankle 20+ years ago and it didn't heal to original spec. Think toes pointing at 2 o'clock. Cruise control does help but I still would like more space in between the pedals.

As for the arm rest they're about 2" low. I'm a tall monkey at 6'3".

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
AstroOafAdventurer - I should also have mentioned I broke my ankle 20+ years ago and it didn't heal to original spec. Think toes pointing at 2 o'clock. Cruise control does help but I still would like more space in between the pedals.

As for the arm rest they're about 2" low. I'm a tall monkey at 6'3".
Ah yep, 2 o'clock toes would make all the difference!
Having a conversion van, I don't have factory seats, the arm rest feels good but the "high back" isn't high enough to lean my head back on. But that may be getting a little too comfy on long hauls lol

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,886 Posts
Despite being 6" tall.. I actually spaced up my seat a little.
It gives me a tiny bit more leg room, visibility, and comfort

·
Registered
2004 Safari RWD, 2002 Astro AWD
233 Posts
The reason that it is so close, probably had to do with the standard transmission they had as option during the early times.
They probably never redesigned the mechanics since then or just a bit over.

·
Registered
2003 Astro LT RWD
148 Posts
The reason that it is so close, probably had to do with the standard transmission they had as option during the early times.
They probably never redesigned the mechanics since then or just a bit over.
Yeah, many vehicles with manual or auto get wider brake pedals with auto. So not only did they not bother with that but didn't bother to replace it when manuals stopped being available.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I don't recall if I noticed first time driving my van, which was also first time driving an Astro/Safari, but it popped to mind the other day to look at the pedals with spacing in mind. Yes, they are rather tight. But I also notice, which may be why I don't have a problem, my right heel is off to the left of the brake pedal. So really I'm only using my toe on the gas, then lift to brake. My leg is arched in a way that facilitates heel positioning being comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts