13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Brick Wood stain Flowerpot Hardwood
Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper Tints and shades
Door Wood Fixture Water Gas
Tool Wood Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Floor
Brown Wood Plane Gas Hardwood

My torsion bar broke and my van sagged down 2 feet on that side. Drove home 3 blocks away. No one sells 1994 astro safari torsion bars. Sometimes on eBay some appear. I was in shock. GM discontinued making them. I waited a month. Nope. No one has them. Parts shortage. Went to local junk yards. Nope. There is a parts finder website that is connected to junk yards across America. They had some in Farmington New Mexico and Iowa. Called Iowa and they said they would send me the whole assembly for $240. Two torsion bars left and right. The keys and wedges with screw.
I had to grind off the adapter shroud thing. I used an electric grinder with the shroud taken off. Be careful. It took an hour or so to grind that thing off then clean up the area so it could slide out. The key slide out. The new bar is from a 1998. It is shorter. I cleaned the ends up with wire brush to get rust off. So it would slide in the key and van easy.
The old bar is longer and had snapped. See pictures. On the ends of the bars are stamped part numbers and left or right. You can put the 1998 key in your pre1995 van. So once the hanging shroud adapter was ground off with my electric grinder and the key was removed everything was easy.
I had ground the adapter off in two pieces. I was unsure where it had broke. You would only have to grind it off as close as possibly to the key. I had the whole assembly but only used the left side torsion bar and key which fit in fine to my stock old assembly.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper Tints and shades
Door Wood Fixture Water Gas
Tool Wood Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Floor
Brown Wood Plane Gas Hardwood

· Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for posting this, very helpful. What was the mileage on the van when the bar snapped?

Im just waiting for this to happen on mine as well

· Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,572 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting this, very helpful. What was the mileage on the van when the bar snapped?

Im just waiting for this to happen on mine as well
140,000 miles or so. Low miles for an astro safari. Yours would be so easy. You have the shorter bars with no adapter shroud. The 1995 up astro safaris are easy because there is no bulky rusted in place adapter sticking out. You will probably have to go to a junkyard to get the torsion bar. They can mail it to you.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also make sure you get the 1995 up key. The old ones up to 1994 are different. The newer shorter ones both the torsion bar and key are backward compatible for the pre 1994 Astros and safaris. Here is a picture of the old one where you can see the grind marks and the newer style. Newer is hex. Older is round with that dumb adapter cylinder that was ground off.
Wood Tints and shades Building material Font Natural material
Wood Tints and shades Building material Font Natural material

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.