Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got the stereo installed. For some reason it is offset to the left. Don't know why, as there was no left or right adjustment. I used the Metra kit and it only requires trimming the top and bottom, not the sides. Has anyone else had this issue? Other than that the stereo works great. I didn't want one with an lcd since I can't lock the van. This one was under $200 out the door at Best Buy and I am really pleased. Works awesome with Bluetooth audio. Also, screw you GM for riveting in the rear door speakers! And of course the dash cracked due to cheap 24 year old GM plastic.

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Gear shift Radio

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fixed the rear wiring. There was wiring that went along the top of the back roof that I had to deal with. Unfortunately I forgot to take a before picture. I cut out all the wiring for things no longer on the car, taped it up, and redid 2 grounds.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

I trimmed the panel that across the bottom so I could sneak the wiring below it.
Wood Motor vehicle Line Engineering Machine

Here's the final product. I'll have to get a better picture in the morning. It came out great. Once the roll cage is in I can clean up the side wiring nicer. Once the side panels get back in you won't see any wiring.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just picked the Astro up from getting the roll cage yesterday. It came out so much better looking than I expected. They built mounts so all the seatbelts are still 3 point. Drift Cave Motorsport hit it out of the park on this.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

Next up is painting the cage and the bed liner the floor.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
Better put some overhead padding on those bars.. lol
Looks great

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Better put some overhead padding on those bars.. lol
Looks great
Thanks!
The outside seats your head misses the bar, but the middle seats definitely has head bonking potential. Thus the middle seats are kids and short people only. Since I have a 4 and 7 year old I won't do padding, but if I was loading it up with adults padding would definitely be a good idea.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
The roll bar turned out GREAT!

Despite that you've stated it's not needed, it wouldn't be hard to put an easy top on it like one of those African safari vehicles, or a Bimini top like a boat, something that snaps on and easily removable (no sides). Of course this defeats the idea of a convertible. Just an option.. if the need ever arose.

What can I say.. I live in Florida.
Carry on! lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks. I'm thinking more about a top now that the roll cage is beefier than I originally thought. We just had a week of 95 degree weather, and while we don't get the Florida rain, the sun was brutal. A little shade would definitely help on days like that.

Today, before it got too hot I was able to get the first coat of paint on the roll cage. The shop recommend I paint it with Steel-It. Stuff is expensive. $38 a can. And two coats is going to take 3 cans. Of course I ordered two so I can't do the second coat until Thursday when another can arrives.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tree Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Yes.. here we usually daytime drive our convertibles with our tops UP in our HOT summer South Florida sun. Sun will cook you quickly. Pretty sure that sun is super summertime hot for much of the country too. Evenings however... tops come down and it's party time!

·
Registered
1999 AWD Safari, 1995 Astro 5-speed
729 Posts
That turned out amazing! I love it, makes me want to lop the roof off mine as well!

Concerning a top i would take that by a marine canvas shop and let them pattern it for a simple sun top (i work for one of these) as said, a bimini top like a boat, but with maybe some extra reinforcements or tensioning for road speeds.

Since you say you arent ever going to drive this in the rain, you can use a track and bolt rope along the leading edge. The track can just screw right down onto the roof and then the top would slide in the from the side, and you would have a solid connection to try and cut down on flapping. This arrangement would not be truly water tight for a car, but perfect for sun.

If you do this make sure you go by in the off season, like for example this week would be a bad time to visit a canvas shop as all the marinas a trying to get boats in the water for july 4.

This is an awesome job

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks!

That's actually a good idea if I do a top. I never thought of going to a Marine shop, but that makes sense. Might be a good thing to do in winter when they need work.

That turned out amazing! I love it, makes me want to lop the roof off mine as well!

Concerning a top i would take that by a marine canvas shop and let them pattern it for a simple sun top (i work for one of these) as said, a bimini top like a boat, but with maybe some extra reinforcements or tensioning for road speeds.

Since you say you arent ever going to drive this in the rain, you can use a track and bolt rope along the leading edge. The track can just screw right down onto the roof and then the top would slide in the from the side, and you would have a solid connection to try and cut down on flapping. This arrangement would not be truly water tight for a car, but perfect for sun.

If you do this make sure you go by in the off season, like for example this week would be a bad time to visit a canvas shop as all the marinas a trying to get boats in the water for july 4.

This is an awesome job

21 - 36 of 36 Posts