Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,368 Posts
I have no current need for a replacement core support, but if I had a van with that rust problem, I would definitely be excited to have the opportunity purchase a set of CAD plans for fabricating a replacement.
Most metro areas have fab shops that could covert those drawings to the parts necessary for fabrication.
With the cost of shipping relatively heavy parts, I would think local fabrication would be cost effective.
And if you have the tools/experience to weld it up yourself, so much the better.
Rod J

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
So... I'm a cad genius, architect, and I am in need of core support...support. I'll do a drawing model up this morning, post it here and see if we can't get some traction on this item. I am thinking 1/4 inch plate that spans the whole RCS. Upward bend at the front to cradle, shaped like a stretched out handle bar. Similar to how jeeps insert rocker supports on their rusted out bodies, capturing the body mounts. I'll do a sketch and see what this community thinks. If we can get this done, astro/safari could live forever, like jeeps do.
VannyD....any progress on that cad drawing?

·
Registered
2004 Safari RWD, 2002 Astro AWD
287 Posts
The picture with the TWO coolers stuck in front of the air-condition rad.
Their airconitioner must not be working as well as it did before all the heaters added in front.
So the saying goes: "Save the tyranny / engine but sacrifice the air."
They should have placed the transmission and the engine cooler below the rads. especially since the bottom bar was being replaced.
It could have been easily modified to attach long rectangular coolers below.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
OK, I got a little inspiration from the pics at lunchtime...let me know what you guys think....sort of a more developed concept based on No Quarter's build.
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Triangle

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: VannyD

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Also if you can let me know what the approximate angle is that the two ends angle back? Any dimensions you can provide would be helpful too. I need to make one of these for my van, and will at that point just build to fit and document everything. I'd like to get the drawing as close as possible for now and get comments from anyone with experience trying to do this repair. It looks like you used 2" tube, correct?

·
Registered
2003 Safari AWD
191 Posts
This 2" tube support is 16 3/8" on the long side and 15" for the shorter (top).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Office ruler Laundry room Gas

Something to watch for is the space at the end of my tube. The angled piece needs to account for the body mount location and the AC lines

Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle Grille Machine

·
Premium Member
2005 AWD 3+1 on 32X17's.
67 Posts
NoQuater...Nice rebuild. Simple.

Onthewater...Based on NoQuaters measurement the end angles of the top tube are 125/55. But as he suggest in his last pic, that angle wont clear the AC on the down tubes. I am following this post closely and am hoping to see the rest of the dims figured out...so that I can have it made for Vanny. I have attached a current photo of my RCS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,503 Posts
NoQuarter, ( and it is... NOQUARTER )

Those are some of the Best Front End Sheet Metal photos I have seen posted here.
Just Gorgeous work & Great Pics of it !!

fyi: quater triggers me...

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
NoQuater...Nice rebuild. Simple.

Onthewater...Based on NoQuaters measurement the end angles of the top tube are 125/55. But as he suggest in his last pic, that angle wont clear the AC on the down tubes. I am following this post closely and am hoping to see the rest of the dims figured out...so that I can have it made for Vanny. I have attached a current photo of my RCS.

Vanny,

I'm sure there are more issues than just the clearance of the A/C tubes. My drawing is just representative at this point, I need to actually tear into mine as soon as I can get in in the garage. Once I do I will revise the design so it works in actual practice and will document and update the drawing at that point. I'm thinking I'll upload the CAD file as well as full size patterns in .pdf format so they can be printed for fabrication. I'm not sure when yet, but I'll get to it!

Reactions: VannyD
21 - 33 of 33 Posts