Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy one of these vans primarily to tow my Miata. I mentioned it in passing in another post, but I want to make sure the van is up to the task. Most trips are under 250 miles one way, with some hills but nothing really severe (iirc). The car weighs 2300 lbs or so, definitely no more than 2400 lbs. I'll be towing about once a month. I know these vans are rated for about 5000 lbs, so in theory they should be ok, but the really world doesn't always accept the theory.

Should I look for a van with a tow package, tow/haul button, specific rear end gearing, or is that stuff all nice but not necessary? If I find a van I really like but it doesn't have some or all of that stuff, should I buy it anyway? Any opinions on flat towing vs. a dolly? Trailers are out, I have no room to store one. Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not a problem ... It'll do it with ease .... Ive towed many things with my 99 awd ... I'll part with it for $3k ...

You will have no problem with a rwd either ,,, Look for a deal and jump all over it ,, I'd get under it and look for rust , :driving: :driving: :driving:

·
Registered
423 Posts
My understanding is that a RWD model has a slightly higher towing rating than the AWD. If you don't need AWD then RWD would probably be best for a towing specific van.

Tow/haul mode will definitely be a plus. 3.73 gears seem to be the crowd pleaser for towing as well as fun to drive.

Flat towing/dolly is probably up to you. If the rear sags it is cheap enough to upgrade the rear with load adjusting shocks, they can be had for under $100.

The transmission will get hotter when towing, the tow/haul package has a transmission fluid cooler built into the radiator, but most everyone adds an aux trans cooler to their vans whether they are towing or not. That can be done easily for under $100 (or much less) depending on what you choose. Better safe than sorry especially if you don't have a gauge installed to monitor the temps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
AWDASTROVAN1999 said:
I'd get under it and look for rust
His profile says he's from Cali, he probably doesn't know what rust is...

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
AWD are rated at 5k where as the RWD are 5.5k You probably won't hardly even notice the Miata, unless the hitch breaks and a Miata just like yours passes you on the interstate ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts