Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need a tow bar system for my 1996 Asro but it has four port exhaust in the middle of the rear bumber, looks great. So can anyone advise what I may need ? Please anyone ?

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice looking 96! How about some more pics of this nice looking ride? It might be a little hard to fit that hitch up.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I'd think that you'll end up having to find a hitch that keeps the cross bar lower than it should, perhaps something from the truck line that fits close and needs little modification. You may even want to look at the universal type hitches, they have a tendancy to have lower center bars depending on the application. You'll have problems backing and driving up driveways with a pitch though, you'll have to be concious of that, and you'll most likely need to invert a 5 inch drop hitch to get the ball to the approx. 15" height to tow a trailer level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Thanks for the replies, I will send more pics soon we having some graphics done. We`re still looking for a tow bar system but need to know which way to go. Sounds like a universal type kit then any picticular kit in mind anyone ? Thanks for any help PS. We`re in the UK big parts are not that easy to get hold of over here :(

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Welcome to AS.
Maybe a custom hitch could be built with two receivers. The two receivers placed along either side of the exhaust, and mounted forwards and as high as possible of the bumper. Then have a second part that has the hitch receiver/tow ball on it slot into the other two receivers and can be built to go over the exhaust and at the proper height for towing.
Doing the two receivers placed forward of the bumper might leave enough room to keep it higher off the ground but open options for getting the cross member under, over the exhaust or even around it kind of like a drive line loop. Having the second part you put on just when you need it would keep your tail end looking good.

If this doesn't make sense, give me a yell, I can draw something up later today.

·
2,657 Posts
What exactly are you needing the tow hitch for? Are you going to tow a trailer or use it for accessories like a cargo rack or bike carrier that slide into the receiver? Just trying to see how it'll be used to brainstorm ideas.

BTW, Welcome and more pics are of your ride would be nice.

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts