Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive Delilah over twisty mountain roads daily and as such she gets new pads pretty regularly.... I drive HWW 1, steep dropoffs with lots of plunges to certain death if you mess up... that kind of thing.

I know that I could get a little shorter stopping distance With organic pads, but have been running ceramics for the last two changes.

Wagner "quiet stop" ceramics have worked well, a bit longer distance and frankly they could be dangerous if driven by someone who is not used to downshifting going over the mountain... that said, they have worked ok for me but I remember noticing the difference when I switched to them.

I just ordered the AC Delco Ceramics, and will report when I put them on soon. According to the reviews I read they may have a bit more bite then the wagners (?).

Looking at the Bosch pads people seem to like them (tells me nothing)....

Has anyone here run all three? Maybe something different and exotic that they really like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,034 Posts
I use ceramics on mine. definitely longer cold stopping distance which requires a little bit more pedal effort. But once warmed up, I like them. I also live in the mountains with passes that climb and drop over upwards of 4k feet. So brakes are important. They are not noisy and don't dust out that much if that matters to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
In my experience the ceramics can't handle the weight of these Vans, IIRC they came from the factory with semi metallic. I just recently just switched back to ACdelco semi metallic and they seem to grab a better.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,000 Posts
Gen 3 vans came with ceramic pads.

I have NAPA Adaptive One pads and Ultra Premium rotors on my Jeep and really like them. Stopping distance is very good, even when towing, and they're lower dusting.

I have NAPA Premium pads on my Astro (the rotors were still good); when next I need to replace them, I'll get Adaptive One pads and NAPA Ultra Premium rotors just like the Jeep.

https://www.napabrakes.com/products/bra ... aptive-one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last set of pads I had were Wagner "ThermoQuiet" QC52 Ceramics. I installed them Sept of 2017. I noticed That I needed a slightly heavier foot to stop, but they were quiet and produced almost no dust.

Here they are after 11,522 miles;

C5813CB4-F7E3-494C-A83D-E2D51A10686F.jpeg


Some minor cracks, but very even wear;

6D52FD92-CF08-40E8-9B60-AB5884DC7253.jpeg


It is interesting that they show more metallic particles....

B456696A-C7E6-48EC-B268-DD523B9F0B3A.jpeg


These replaced Wagner "ThermoQuiet" Semi-Metalic pads (MX-52's)..... I got almost 20k out of them, but almost half of that was my round the country trip.... almost 10k of hwy driving.

I'll update this later with more feedback on the new AC Delco Pads....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TurnNburn said:
I use ceramics on mine. definitely longer cold stopping distance which requires a little bit more pedal effort. But once warmed up, I like them. I also live in the mountains with passes that climb and drop over upwards of 4k feet. So brakes are important. They are not noisy and don't dust out that much if that matters to you.
Do you recall which pads you went with? I would really like to hear about experience with different brands.... :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
In an effort to keep this page going I will add that I put AC Delco Advantage Ceramic front brake pads on my Tiger 30K miles ago and they still look great and have created no dust but I plan to change them out because I think it takes too much pressure to make a stop and I will be switching to semi metallic pads. The Tiger weighs 6,000 pounds so I realize it needs good brakes. They have worked great in my mountain driving but quick stops in a city aren't so good; I leave lots of room between me and the guy in front. I saw a good bumper sticker today that said "Warning, watch out for the guy that's behind me."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
I've said it a bunch of times on here but Hawk LTS (ferro-carbon), great stopping power, feel, zero fade, don't overheat, very kind to rotors, they dust but I care about braking performance not how much they dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Corsemoto said:
I've said it a bunch of times on here but Hawk LTS (ferro-carbon), great stopping power, feel, zero fade, don't overheat, very kind to rotors, they dust but I care about braking performance not how much they dust.
Glad to hear it, what pads were you replacing when you installed them? Did they replace another set of ceramic pads?

These are the ones you are talking about right? Hawk Performance HB103F.590 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO65VC
 

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
Joined
·
5,243 Posts
Interesting discussion... regarding the tradeoffs between the longevity, durability, and low dusting of the high-tech ceramics vs the traditional rotor eating braking power of the semi-metalics. Lately I've been using ceramics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmusicman said:
Interesting discussion... regarding the tradeoffs between the longevity, durability, and low dusting of the high-tech ceramics vs the traditional rotor eating braking power of the semi-metalics. Lately I've been using ceramics.
Which ceramics are you running, and how happy have you been with them? I would imagine you have an ideal platform to test them with those big ole tires you turn...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
Sailing_Faith said:
Corsemoto said:
I've said it a bunch of times on here but Hawk LTS (ferro-carbon), great stopping power, feel, zero fade, don't overheat, very kind to rotors, they dust but I care about braking performance not how much they dust.
Glad to hear it, what pads were you replacing when you installed them? Did they replace another set of ceramic pads?

These are the ones you are talking about right? Hawk Performance HB103F.590 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO65VC
When I bought my 2004 awd with 35k I switched to from OE pads to Hawk LTS on OE rotors and have since replaced those with the same - Hawk LTS and new OE rotors.

LTS not HPS, though I do also run Hawk HPS 5.0 on my Subaru with DBA 4K slotted front rotors and OE rear rotors that replaced Akebono ProACT ceramic pads and Raybestos rotors that suffered from warpage and pad material deposits causing shimmy and vibration.

Mine is 2004 so different part numbers for pads and I don't trust Amazon so would verify part numbers for your model on the Hawk website: https://www.hawkperformance.com/parts-lookup

Definitely always best to have a "clean" rotor surface when switching to new pads and follow the bedding in procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,421 Posts
OK... here is my now revised opinion...

I recently bought drilled/ slotted rotors for the StormDrain and they came with ceramics... so I figured i'd try them out.
3500 miles later I can say my braking (GEN2) is (kinda) on-par with my old GEN3. Yes, big positive change. Of course the first few cold stops really suck, but the rest are amaze-bawls.

WimpTech stands corrected. Thanks for the link and 411 TnB... you nailed it as per usual.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV ... UTF8&psc=1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
There's no way a Gen2 will have comparable brakes to a Gen3 unless your Gen3 brake system was trash. Let us know how they hold up. :2: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,034 Posts
sorry I didn't reply, but wimp nailed the fallow up nicely with the setup I got off of amazon. Really cheap, so I did my research. Overall this company has good reviews. So far I am pleased with them with around 5k miles on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
Fair 'nuff Wimpy! Any improvement is good, be interesting to see how the rotors and pads do long term for sure. :thumbup:
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top