Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
Joined
·
5,409 Posts
Corsemoto said:
There's no way a Gen2 will have comparable brakes to a Gen3
Why not? Unless I'm missing something.. isn't the only difference that the rears are different? Isn't it also true that the rears only do a smaller percentage of the braking.. controlled by a proportioning valving system? (something like 60:40 ratio or maybe even 70:30 under hard braking) If you can lock up your brakes (regardless of model).. then I'd think there probably isn't much more that they can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
Why not?

Gen3 has larger two-piston calipers, larger pads with more surface area plus rear discs which equals better pedal feel, greater stopping power, more resistant to overheating/fade plus longer life. There's a reason GM went to the effort to upgrade the braking system that also necessitated a change to 16" wheels.

If you haven't driven both, especially heavily loaded or towing a trailer then you probably don't know what you're missing.
 

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
Joined
·
12,781 Posts
Corsemoto said:
Why not?

Gen3 has larger two-piston calipers, larger pads with more surface area plus rear discs which equals better pedal feel, greater stopping power, more resistant to overheating/fade plus longer life. There's a reason GM went to the effort to upgrade the braking system that also necessitated a change to 16" wheels.

If you haven't driven both, especially heavily loaded or towing a trailer then you probably don't know what you're missing.
Shhhh! Please refrain from disseminating that highly classified information ;)

Gen3s suck and nobody should buy them, instead they should send me all relevant links to to any great deals! Esp if it's for a great condition, low priced white/RWD/cargo doors/passenger van with impeccable maintenance records :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
A properly adjusted and maintained gen1/2 system might (heavy on the might) be able to keep up with a gen 3 system. Of course, one could also throw the larger calipers on the gen 2 and that helps to some degree. My van has Akebono pads and brake juice from who knows when. Even 3 years in, it can stop so quick....people behind me are quite surprised. That's with minimal maintenance.

Besides some folks on this site...most people aren't maintaining their gen 2 system all that well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
AstroWill said:
Shhhh! Please refrain from disseminating that highly classified information ;)

Gen3s suck and nobody should buy them, instead they should send me all relevant links to to any great deals! Esp if it's for a great condition, low priced white/RWD/cargo doors/passenger van with impeccable maintenance records :)
Sorry Will, AstroLeaks already leaked all that info. :D I know what you mean, been on the lookout for another nice Gen3 AWD (because they suck so bad!) too.

markmitch said:
so basically the 1st gen brakes are kinda like the flintstones brakes is what your trying to say?
Nope, just saying from a lot of miles and experience with Gen2 & Gen3 that the braking system is superior on the Gen3 but dragging your feet probably wouldn't hurt. :lol:

Meterpig said:
A properly adjusted and maintained gen1/2 system might (heavy on the might) be able to keep up with a gen 3 system. Of course, one could also throw the larger calipers on the gen 2 and that helps to some degree. My van has Akebono pads and brake juice from who knows when. Even 3 years in, it can stop so quick....people behind me are quite surprised. That's with minimal maintenance.

Besides some folks on this site...most people aren't maintaining their gen 2 system all that well....
Still nope but if your name was CowboyDan, then maybe. :poke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sailing_Faith said:
Just an update,

AC Delco ceramic pads are pretty short lived. We installed them on both my van and a friends van at the same time... his are worn already.
So.... now mine are squeeking also... two pairs of AC Delco pads both failed on two 1997 vans between 5k and 7.5k.....

Here they are:
832A53AF-9637-4850-8AE2-AC3CA894FD11.jpeg


72F35B54-E606-463E-8311-8FC68343D4F6.jpeg


34DF2494-D094-4613-968F-6B40AD808E66.jpeg


So, they did no so much as die an early death, as the wear indicators were set too far into the pad life.... I estimate they were not even at 50% wear.... :whack: :whack: :dunce:

So, the test results for ACDelco ceramic pads are; slightly more dust then the Wagner ThermoQuiet, with about the same stopping power.

My friend's van is now running Napa Premium Semi-metalic pads.... he says he has not noticed any real difference in breaking..... interesting to me as I would have expected shorter stopping distance with the semi-metallic pads... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Leeann_93 said:
Gen 3 vans came with ceramic pads.

I have NAPA Adaptive One pads and Ultra Premium rotors on my Jeep and really like them. Stopping distance is very good, even when towing, and they're lower dusting.

I have NAPA Premium pads on my Astro (the rotors were still good); when next I need to replace them, I'll get Adaptive One pads and NAPA Ultra Premium rotors just like the Jeep.

https://www.napabrakes.com/products/bra ... aptive-one
According to my local Napa (and confirmed online) they do not make the 'Adaptive One' series pads for our vans or at least not for gen2.....
 

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
Joined
·
14,097 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
2002 is Gen-II. The second link Leeann posted is pads for your van!

ADO AD7259B for the pads and UP 880442 for the rotors! Whomever you were talking to doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm a bit surprised since the folks at NAPA usually know their stuff a bit better than other LAPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
Sailing_Faith said:
My friend's van is now running Napa Premium Semi-metalic pads.... he says he has not noticed any real difference in breaking..... interesting to me as I would have expected shorter stopping distance with the semi-metallic pads... :confused:
Swapping new pads of a different compound onto used rotors isn't always the best indicator of new pad performance since there is a layer of old pad material on the rotors. It also depends on the pad compound and friction rating. If replacing pads with a different compound on used rotors, I'll clean the rotors with a flex-hone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ac Delco ceramic pads.... after resetting the wear indicators (they were only at 50% wear) I ran mine for a total of 15,640 miles. I noticed they were loosing stopping ability so I switched them out.

At first glance, they were thin but worn evenly ... (kind of a bad angle there, they look paper thin but they are not that bad...)

E57D9463-14D4-4B15-8501-54A1D8B9D483.jpeg


But then I noticed;

20A357F8-11D3-4654-A571-3FDAD8D37345.jpeg


Sanding disc on the rotors to deglaze and clean the Surface... And my next test will be the Wagner QS (Quick stop, ZD52 ceramic)... I have previously tried the Wagner Thermo Quiets, I'll update this when I see how these do.

51B9C375-996C-42B8-BA33-35ABE87FDC82.jpeg


0362C051-FEB8-4006-A7CD-5C12F25FF035.jpeg


And another brake fluid flush...

8AFF66A1-D227-4561-B54C-D7A3A48FC7ED.jpeg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
WinnieVan said:
2002 is Gen-II. The second link Leeann posted is pads for your van!

ADO AD7259B for the pads and UP 880442 for the rotors! Whomever you were talking to doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm a bit surprised since the folks at NAPA usually know their stuff a bit better than other LAPS.
I am a bit confused, the picture for the ADO7259B looks nothing like our pads (maybe just a stock photo?)...

69EC16DA-22F7-4359-8537-29F27B9A0446.png


I am looking forward to adding them to my test thread next.... :rockon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I have tried several different pads on my mom's Astro. All of them from Autozone just plain suck, and I was definitely not impressed with the Wagner ThermoQuiets (junk). So, I will be replacing the Duralast ceramics with Performance Friction carbon metallics. I put these pads back onto my Chevelle recently, as they just plain work. Good stopping power, low dust, pretty quiet. They used to carry them at Autozone (lifetime warranty), but then they switched to only carrying their brand in house (big mistake).

On a side note, my mom's Astro uses the same exact pads that my 1971 Chevelle does. The Performance Friction part number is 0052.20.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Fric ... B000EJBSZI
 
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Top