Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Is a symptom of motor or tranny mounts going that the van seems to sort of chug at slow speeds til you get rolling?

I had the van in the shop (embarassing I know) they swore the mounts were fine but it has a chugging feeling it didnt used to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
chuggine at lower speeds is not a sign of a bad mount. the symptoms of a bad set of mounts is when you are stopped, and put the car is drive with the engine one, the inside of your car will vibrate, and all sort of things will make wierd sounds due to that vibration. bad engine mounts, from what i know, should not impact the performance of the eninge (its not a mechanical issue).

·
Registered
140 Posts
well while i was changing out the mounts, i made a video showing some portions of the change....its kind of crummy, but this is my 2nd shot at making a video (the first one was of the intake gasket change which i still have to put togather). i left out some of the basic jacking up the car, not getting under it without stands under it, etc....but here it, comments and suggestion are appreciated.

here it is:

·
Registered
9 Posts
i replaced the driver side one by lifting the engine with a floor jack and a 2x4 resting on a motor tab. that was easy, the passenger side mount its a bitch. ended up taking the truck to the shop. 225 dollars but did not get rid of the shaking. goddammit...

·
Registered
'96 Astro AWD LT vin W
106 Posts
Yep, that was seriously no joke... I thought I was out of the woods on the drivers side, but then I had to spend at least an hour attempting to line up the tab on the engine with the the hole on the new mount 🤦‍♂️
Honestly the worst part, was just attempting to get any socket or wrench over the lower rear bolts because the old mounts had smushed up right against them, I wound up having to cut off the rubber corners of the old mounts eventually.

Wood Automotive tire Gas Thumb Flooring

Fuck both of you little turds

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Car Automotive exterior

All tucked in

Helmet Glove Safety glove Gas Wood

Old Vs. New. I went with the Anchor mounts. They were stamped "made in Korea" so hopefully that is worth something compared to a china mount 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,754 Posts
Honestly the worst part, was just attempting to get any socket or wrench over the lower rear bolts because the old mounts had smushed up right against them, I wound up having to cut off the rubber corners of the old mounts eventually.
I had that same issue when I did mine.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts