Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2K heater and wanting to install but it is a bit like playing tetris. I posted this on the fb group as well:

I have two choices on heater placement. Most ideal from an inside standpoint is under the passenger seat. Issue is, it drops right above the muffler where the heat shield is. (Picture 1 attached) and routing everything underneath would likely take more work because it's the van exhaust side.
Second option is driver side under the bed right behind driver seat. Pro is short run for exhaust but the LCD connection isn't long and don't see where I could install that to be functional/accessible. Another con is losing storage space as under the bed is where I store most everything.

What's the best option, 1 or 2?

Next question: tank location. Option 1 would be to install on the inside of my rear passenger dutch door.(see picture of rear with open doors). I can swing the door open and fill outside the van. It fits and I only have to make one cut so wouldn't be a hard install. Speaker wire already has protection being run through the door so fuel line could be added there.
Option 2 is to buy a Jerry can and holder and install on the outside of the van. Pro to this is when not using the heater (Majority of my camping) I could have an extra tank of gas. Also, everything is on the outside of the vehicle. Not entirely sure how the fuel line would work on this option. Con of this is simply having the look of this. I've also included a sample photo.
Option 3 is buy a marine tank and install on the back side of the step that is at slider door. (See image with red box drawing) I currently keep a fresh water tank there and I could easily build a platform for the tank to sit flush and it doesn't protrude into the living space - that's important because I slide kayaks in and out. Pro is having a quick connect, can fill on the outside of the van and when not using the heater, I can completely remove the tank. Con is spending more money and taking away my space for my fresh water tank - which isn't a huge deal to relocate.

So, which option would you choose, 1, 2, or 3?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got one of those yesterday and started playing tetris as well. Some other locations I found were underneath the van right in front of the fuel filler hose. The heater fits there pretty well, and the hot air hose could be routed through the van's floor by the rear heater area. It also fits in the back right where the jack is stored, and the hot air could be routed through the plastic tray that the seatbelt is also routed through. I've thought about mounting a metal tool box on the rear door like your jerry can, then mount the heater at the bottom, and a small diesel tank above it. Then route the hot air through the box and the door into the cabin. It would be all self contained, but I don't know how long the heater would last with the shock loads of closing the door. I mounted the spare tire on the cargo door, so I've got tons of room to put stuff underneath in it's place, that might be what I end up doing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got one of those yesterday and started playing tetris as well. Some other locations I found were underneath the van right in front of the fuel filler hose. The heater fits there pretty well, and the hot air hose could be routed through the van's floor by the rear heater area. It also fits in the back right where the jack is stored, and the hot air could be routed through the plastic tray that the seatbelt is also routed through. I've thought about mounting a metal tool box on the rear door like your jerry can, then mount the heater at the bottom, and a small diesel tank above it. Then route the hot air through the box and the door into the cabin. It would be all self contained, but I don't know how long the heater would last with the shock loads of closing the door. I mounted the spare tire on the cargo door, so I've got tons of room to put stuff underneath in it's place, that might be what I end up doing.
I would not want the heater outside of the van. I also can't add it to the back as this is a completely converted van and I have a pull out kitchen there that can't be relocated. The spot you speak of regarding in front of the fuel filler hose is where my bed is and is a possibility for me. I just would have to lose storage area as that is precious with such a small vehicle. I think in terms of routing everything underneath that is the best location for the heater. My battery bank is in the back on the PASSENGER side so that makes for a longer run as well as the supplied line for the LCD isn't long and makes mounting it as such almost impossible. Seems like pros and cons to each location and I just need to find the lesser PIA location :D

·
Registered
01 Astro Cargo RWD, 97 Astro Mark III AWD
1,827 Posts
Just a couple ideas based on a trunk design.
A storage box/Trunk could be built to mount just in front of the gas tank on driver side.
Another trunk could be built in the spare tire area ala scorean/CargoCrawler
The outlet could then be routed up through the floor.

You definitely Do Not want to mount the fuel tank inside the vehicle.
Not only is it Dangerous. It is illegal.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
Would probably be easier, though not cheaper to go with a gasoline/petrol/benzine based heater tied into the stock fuel tank. Note that the cheap heaters are not really waterproofed as well as the name brand ones. This can cause problems if mounted outside, just be aware.

You can see where I ended up mounting my diesel heater in this thread: The Blue Beast 2003 AWD Safari

·
Registered
72 Posts
Timely post, Mine just came today...only had a chance to open the box so far. My conversion is pretty much done so I'm also limited as to places for it to go. I'm going to try and figure that out tomorrow. Wherever that ends up, I think the biggest issue is going to be where to put the fuel tank. and still have it accessible to fill. After doing some research it looks like an upgrade tank with a fuel stand pipe..Not overly impressed with the tank that came with the heater Where did yours end up Will? Hoping others doing their installations this will keep us updated on your decisions/progress.

stall023, the slider step was my thought too on a fuel tank location, I won't put the OEM one there, but don't think a quality one would be an issue, I've got 6 little propane tanks stored away so my vans a rolling bomb anyway..

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
I temporary riveted my tank to the lower rear drivers side door. I'm going to try one of the gasoline models next with a temporary tank before installing a pickup tube into my factory tank.

Edit: lower rear drivers side door, as in the dutch doors in the back, the lower door on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
863 Posts
AstroWill posted:
"I temporary riveted my tank to the lower rear drivers side door. "
Is that inside? I cannot picture that. You like the smell of diesel?
Picture please...
Rod J

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
Yes, I removed the inside panel and temporary mounted it to the supports, then removed the rear tiedown bolt and ran the fuel line through there. I don't like the smell of diesel, and surprisingly I have only smelled it on a couple of days out of the last 5mos. It can also be vented to the outside if one wanted to but I haven't gotten around to it because it's not staying there. :) Would have been nice to mount it INSIDE that door, such wasted space :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I removed the inside panel and temporary mounted it to the supports, then removed the rear tiedown bolt and ran the fuel line through there. I don't like the smell of diesel, and surprisingly I have only smelled it on a couple of days out of the last 5mos. It can also be vented to the outside if one wanted to but I haven't gotten around to it because it's not staying there. :) Would have been nice to mount it INSIDE that door, such wasted space :)
I measured, it can go inside that door and still have access to fill it (flexible funnel). I'm curious, how would one vent it outside?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stall023, the slider step was my thought too on a fuel tank location, I won't put the OEM one there, but don't think a quality one would be an issue, I've got 6 little propane tanks stored away so my vans a rolling bomb anyway..
This could be a reference video for you;

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Bulkhead fittings and quick disconnects will route the fuel line through any panel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After thinking about it, I don't know how I could use the ext. jerry can idea and route the fuel line? Anyone ever do this?.
I see there is a small gap between the bumper and the corner of the body. You could run in down and under the van from there and it would be fairly inconspicuous.. I plan on mounting the fuel pump under the van anyway. FWIW, I crawled under today for a looksee and think under the passengers seat is probably going to be my best bet...we shall see

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see there is a small gap between the bumper and the corner of the body. You could run in down and under the van from there and it would be fairly inconspicuous.. I plan on mounting the fuel pump under the van anyway. FWIW, I crawled under today for a looksee and think under the passengers seat is probably going to be my best bet...we shall see
I got under mine today and thought just behind the driver's seat would be the easiest. Passenger side drops right on top of exhaust where there is a heat shield. Why do you think that is the spot for you?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Care to explain this more? Photos/Videos?
This shows a bulkhead fitting for a garden hose. I am sure you can find one for fuel line.

The Quick disconnect for a garden hose, Once again I am sure you can find the correct size for the fuel line.

Use the Quick disconnect to detach the tank from the bulkhead fitting in the body for refilling.

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
I measured, it can go inside that door and still have access to fill it (flexible funnel). I'm curious, how would one vent it outside?
Install a port and hose routed to where it can breathe with the outside air.
After thinking about it, I don't know how I could use the ext. jerry can idea and route the fuel line? Anyone ever do this?
You can do like your attached PDF, or you can modify the cap to accept a pickup tube, or braze a piece of tubing to go through, or use a short piece of the plastic tubing. All depends on what you want to do and what can you end up with. Once you mount the can I assume you won't be removing it or very often, so a quick connect type deal probably isn't worth it and introduces it's own problems. Also remember that you want to keep the tubing real small like the stuff that came with the heater.
I have my fuel pump mounted to the bumper mounting bracket on the drivers side rear, still louder than I would like, hopefully they come out with a silent pump one of these days.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have my fuel pump mounted to the bumper mounting bracket on the drivers side rear, still louder than I would like, hopefully they come out with a silent pump one of these days.
Wonder if there is some sort of small box that you could put it inside, have sound deadening material inside the box and attach that to the frame? I bought a rubber stop to attach that to the frame and the pump to that as I saw as a suggestion but not sure that will help?

Install a port and hose routed to where it can breathe with the outside air.
How would you suggest this? Also think I am going to install a stand pipe at the top of the tank to minimize leak issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got under mine today and thought just behind the driver's seat would be the easiest. Passenger side drops right on top of exhaust where there is a heat shield. Why do you think that is the spot for you?
Yeah your right, I was measuring wrong on where the heater ports would come out. So I'm nixing that location. I have some space in the passenger side rear, saw this video. I'd have to elevate the heater similar to how he did and deal with the 2 exhaust tubes separately. Extra work and not sure how you'd seal the pipes. Some questionable stuff IMO, but the video might give some ideas for others though.
Automotive tire Blue Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

Behind the drivers seat is probably the easiest. I have the rear heater option that I don't want to remove and I don't want the heater sticking out into the floor. I made my bed so it folds up so I wanted to keep the floor area under the bed clear when I have it up. But I figure I can snug it up parallel to the the onboard heater. Definitely does seem to be the easiest place for it....especially with where I'm putting the fuel "tank" . I can live with the loss of storage.

Came up with a solution to the fuel tank problem, at least temporarily. With a little housekeeping I managed to squeeze a 5 qt oil jug into the engine compartment that I'll adapt into a tank.. With some mods to the battery tray, I'm betting there's room for even a larger tank. From what I've read , a 2k heater at medium burn will use about 250 ml /hour. = 20 hrs burn time. I can store extra fuel elsewhere.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Car Hood Gas Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design
Planning on doing a bench test tomorrow to see how it works before cutting the holes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts