Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
Wonder if there is some sort of small box that you could put it inside, have sound deadening material inside the box and attach that to the frame? I bought a rubber stop to attach that to the frame and the pump to that as I saw as a suggestion but not sure that will help?
I have it mounted to a rubber isolator, but I haven't built a box for it yet, which is the next step. I am also going to re-route the fuel line and might encase the plastic tubing with rubber tubing to reduce any noise from the line moving with every pulse. Might give it a shot, though I'm still thinking about moving to a gasoline powered heater and just tap into the stock tank.
How would you suggest this? Also think I am going to install a stand pipe at the top of the tank to minimize leak issues.
Vent it from the highest point you can practically get to which would be the filler neck or cap. Vent has to level with or above the filler neck.

I had thoughts of adding a stainless marine diesel filler neck and a hose running down the passenger side rear pillar with a tank mounted below.

Would be nice to use that empty space in the rear bumper, legal probably not, safe, definitely not. But a nice long piece of pipe with some bends in it could store quite a bit of fuel there. Then the filler neck could be on one side of the rear bumper.

With a 3in pipe you could get almost 2gallons in there :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Came up with a solution to the fuel tank problem, at least temporarily. With a little housekeeping I managed to squeeze a 5 qt oil jug into the engine compartment that I'll adapt into a tank.. With some mods to the battery tray, I'm betting there's room for even a larger tank. From what I've read , a 2k heater at medium burn will use about 250 ml /hour. = 20 hrs burn time. I can store extra fuel elsewhere.

View attachment 280214 View attachment 280215
Planning on doing a bench test tomorrow to see how it works before cutting the holes.
That looks scary as hell to me!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Vent it from the highest point you can practically get to which would be the filler neck or cap. Vent has to level with or above the filler neck.
My understanding is the tank that comes with the unit has a cap that is vented. Am I wrong?
I had thoughts of adding a stainless marine diesel filler neck and a hose running down the passenger side rear pillar with a tank mounted below.
The only space I see underneath for a tank is to remove the spare tire and mount a spare tire on the rear. For me this isn't really an option because I have the dutch doors and the tire would be too big (as I would put a full size on for the spare)
Would be nice to use that empty space in the rear bumper, legal probably not, safe, definitely not. But a nice long piece of pipe with some bends in it could store quite a bit of fuel there. Then the filler neck could be on one side of the rear bumper.

With a 3in pipe you could get almost 2gallons in there :)
Before I added my hitch, I actually had a 3 or 4" PVC pipe attached to the bottom side of the rear bumper and it housed my pvc pipes that hold up a DIY awning. I bet something could easily be rigged there for a tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Bag Automotive tire Gas

I did a lot of measuring yesterday and getting underneath. I have two locations I've narrowed it down to for the actual heater. Option 1) Place it in front of the AC unit with the front facing forward. You can see I have my bed lifted. Underneath this is the cleanest, easiest option. I could also build a "box" for the heater that the bed could rest on to help with more support of the bed (not really needed but would only help). Anyone see issues with this placement being that it is in front of the AC?

Option 2, right behind the driver seat mounted where the metal plate is. This is trickier as the holes for the exhaust/intake would come out right next to the van's fuel lines (but the holes are perfectly spaced to pop out in-between the fuel lines). I know the exhaust gets hot and while the fuel lines are metal, didn't know if this is a concern? Kind of seems like it would be.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
My understanding is the tank that comes with the unit has a cap that is vented. Am I wrong?
Yes the cap is vented, it has to allow air into the tank as you use your fuel.

I do like where I put my heater, in place of the factory rear heat, worked out perfectly well for mounting and routing. You have to be careful with the exhaust, I wouldn't want it very close to my factory fuel lines, but that is me. Another place in Astro vans I have seen the heater mounted is where the factory jack sits.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I do like where I put my heater, in place of the factory rear heat, worked out perfectly well for mounting and routing. You have to be careful with the exhaust, I wouldn't want it very close to my factory fuel lines, but that is me. Another place in Astro vans I have seen the heater mounted is where the factory jack sits.
Factory jack is relocated to underneath my passenger seat. I have a completely converted van and never thought I would want/need heat. After 5 year years, it is time :)

I am such a visual person, what do you mean then by making sure it is vented outside?

·
Registered
72 Posts
That looks scary as hell to me!
Actually there's quite a bit of info on people that have mounted diesel tanks in the engine compartment as long as it's vented.. That location isn't anywhere near the engine. The radiator, is a little close but I'll be reinforcing the jug and use heat shield material to protect it. I'm going to drop a water filled jug in there and drive around then check the water temp....but I'm not expecting having any issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Actually there's quite a bit of info on people that have mounted diesel tanks in the engine compartment as long as it's vented.. That location isn't anywhere near the engine. The radiator, is a little close but I'll be reinforcing the jug and use heat shield material to protect it. I'm going to drop a water filled jug in there and drive around then check the water temp....but I'm not expecting having any issues.
Hey, you do you. Just because others do it doesn't mean it's for me ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not doing it just because others have...I'm doing it because it can be done safely and it's going to solve my issues for mounting a tank. But as you say you do you,...I don't let others fear stop me from finding a solution to a problem..;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm not doing it just because others have...I'm doing it because it can be done safely and it's going to solve my issues for mounting a tank. But as you say you do you,...I don't let others fear stop me from finding a solution to a problem..;)
No need to be argumentative. If you believe it is a safe solution for you then great. I on the other hand don't really want to engineer an oil container for the project.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I mean, I used to keep a quart of oil there, same difference.
Not really. I am personally speaking that I don't want to DIY an oil container for this project. Why is this even a point? I wasn't attacking, just saying what the author wanted to do wasn't for me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Were you thinking about something like this that could be attached to the tank and then have a line going outside?

Or:

Or:

Or:

I'm planning to install the fuel line with a standpoint pipe.

·
Super Moderator
14,340 Posts
You Tube installation in a boat. They name off the through fitting you need. The pipe and insulation. How to do the fuel tank. Fiberglass burns so in a van their methods are bulletproof. Those things put out so much heat it don't matter where you mount it. Your gonna be turning it down in close quarters like a van quick in 20 below weather.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You Tube installation in a boat. They name off the through fitting you need. The pipe and insulation. How to do the fuel tank. Fiberglass burns so in a van their methods are bulletproof. Those things put out so much heat it don't matter where you mount it. Your gonna be turning it down in close quarters like a van quick in 20 below weather.
I am not having luck finding the video you are talking about. Do you have a link?

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
The vent is part of the filler cap on most setups, because it's already outside. But if your filler cap is going to be inside, you should vent it to the outside.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts