Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my Astro in to get an alignment after putting in a new tie rod end and it turns out the whole upper control arm broke off. I'm really shocked because my Astro is in crazy good condition with almost no rust at all. I'm having it towed to a welder in two weeks, has anyone had success with welding new mounts/brackets for a control arm? Unfortunately I don't have pics right now

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yikes! Did both mounting brackets break?
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Engineering

With the vital importance of those mounts for your safety, I would take it to a very reputable welder that you can really really trust, not just some guy with a torch and a garage. You don't want a bad weld coming apart on the highway...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! Did both mounting brackets break?
View attachment 284359

With the vital importance of those mounts for your safety, I would take it to a very reputable welder that you can really really trust, not just some guy with a torch and a garage. You don't want a bad weld coming apart on the highway...
According to the guys at alignment shop yes, it seems that way, I'm taking it to the best place in town for welding - this is something I want done as well as possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pics aren't showing up.

That is a pretty solid piece on the RWD. Are you sure it isn't the bolts holding the arm on?
Its definitely the bolts holding it on those pics don't illustrate the problem and I only realized that after the fact. I apologize this is a learning experience for me

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its definitely the bolts holding it on those pics don't illustrate the problem and I only realized that after the fact. I apologize this is a learning experience for me
Again, I can't see those pics. Can you reload them? You can also insert them into the post by clicking the icon on the bar below. It is the one that is two to the left of the smiley face.

If the bolts broke off, then you can replace them. I believe these are them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got the control arm off and i didn't find any damage the control arm bolt was loose and a bit damaged from rattling but everything else looks fine. My only is concern is that the left hole may have been widened ever so slightly from the loose bolt

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I took my Astro in to get an alignment after putting in a new tie rod end and it turns out the whole upper control arm broke off. I'm really shocked because my Astro is in crazy good condition with almost no rust at all. I'm having it towed to a welder in two weeks, has anyone had success with welding new mounts/brackets for a control arm? Unfortunately I don't have pics right now
I would love to see exactly what broke; Control arms don't break off unless very over-stressed. Did the arm iself break, and had it been involved in an accident sometime in its life? Then I'd say faulty repair job, depending.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to see exactly what broke; Control arms don't break off unless very over-stressed. Did the arm iself break, and had it been involved in an accident sometime in its life? Then I'd say faulty repair job, depending.
Turns out it was just a loose anchor bolt - one that was holding in the control arm. The alignment shop was dead wrong see above there is no damage I just need to replace the bolts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts