Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
That could be as simple as a weak battery from all the cranking. Once it's started and running, if you have access to a cheap bluetooth OBD2 adapter or scanner with live data you can check your fuel trims.

Have you been keeping your battery charged up with all the cranking? Also, wanted to ask if you used dielectric grease on the boots when you installed your spark plug wires.

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
Happy to send you some reimbursement for your time!!!!
I appreciate the offer. Two of my favorite charities that I like to support are PP & EFF, so feel free to drop them or your favorite charity a few $ instead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So while I was checking and rechecking connections I decided to clean the MAF as well as the throttle body and run a bottle of sea foam through while I was cleaning.

Not sure how or why but she is now starting normally and has a much better idle. (Although not as perfect as i would like with EVERYTHING in the electrical system I just replaced.) I wish I could pinpoint what the change was just now so we could both learn what just caused it starting normally vs not starting w/o gas pedal floored but I cannot.

I’m keeping the doghouse off her now just in case. I’m thinking I want to do some fuel injector inspection and replacement next..

Still shaking my head at this mess 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That could be as simple as a weak battery from all the cranking. Once it's started and running, if you have access to a cheap bluetooth OBD2 adapter or scanner with live data you can check your fuel trims.

Have you been keeping your battery charged up with all the cranking? Also, wanted to ask if you used dielectric grease on the boots when you installed your spark plug wires.
I have a pretty nice craftsman scan tool scanner what parameters or abbreviations am
I looking for reading while driving?

Was charging my battery the entire time I have been working on it.. yes I used more dielectric grease then I ever have due to the fact I inspected my old wires when removing them and the dielectric I had put on them 50k ago was either dried up or not even visible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Swapped out plugs and wires today and I am still seeing a few little arcs in the same spots anywhere close to any metal. Van still will not start.
have heard of this before on a Chevy truck, it was bad grounds. plugs were shooting sparks like tie fighters in star wars but, no if remember right sparks were jumping from the plugs to exhaust manifold. FYI bad grounds can pass continuity check! There are 2 issues that can pass said check, intermittent continuity and too high of resistance. both cause issues but, pass continuity.

you said it's not perfect but, much better, is the spark still jumping from the plugs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Hey guys sorry been extreme busy with work.

Van is running pretty rough, wants to stall/has stalled when first warming up and putting motor under load in drive. I get some intermittent hard “Jerks” on the highway in low RPM It doesn’t run that well in lower rpm range under load but seems to run a little better 25-100% throttle. I bought another ECU and swapped it just in case, no change in how motor runs.

Fuel pressure test shows a spike of 65 when key on that immediately resides to 56-57. Starts up no problem now. Pressure holds there around 56 with no leak out. When driving pressure stays around 56-57 and rises to about 60 under load.

I ordered a AC DELCO crank sensor to replace the new one installed just in case. I am planning on installing new crank sensor, going to replace the spider injection with a junkyard pull and going to hollow out my cat just for good measure. Also ordered a GM repair manual for my van I found on eBay so I have some numbers to work off of.

Driving with scan tool consistently shows a different between LTFT B2 and B1 of 3-6... B2 is consistently the lower number. At idle LTFT B1 8.5... LTFT B2 2.3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Van also immediately throws (2) p0102 and (1) p0340 when clearing codes. I’ve gotten it to stall when clearing codes at idle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Live data shows MAF sensor reading 0 at all times so that’s a start! Also got my GM service manuals today!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I learned how to properly test ground and power to each electrical connector (crank sensor MAF and can sensor).
All tested ok but MAF still read 0 with no output data... i simply used a very fine “dental” tool to make sure female connector contacts were bent open to make sure they had good tight contact with MAF male pins. All of a sudden I was getting good output data and had my connection.

While jiggling the cam sensor connector noticed I was having all the problems I described when doing so (irregular idle hesitation wanting to stall). Did the same thing in that connector bending the female contacts back open and tight instead of compressed and my problems have gone away for now. Van in running like a top, I will now always make sure I do these in the three pin female wiring connectors on my GM vehicles!

·
Administrator
12,417 Posts
AWESOME!
Thanks for posting your solution.

I wonder if someone was in there before with a multi-meter and if that had anything to do with the pins needing to be tightened up.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts