Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I could have done it if I had a helper, the problem I had was trying to set the head down without knocking the head gasket off the block. If I had an extra set of hands as in someone inside the van and someone outside the van it could be done V6 or V8.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
Engine blocks typically have dowel pins to hold the gaskets in place and line up the heads.
I think I had an engine once that didn't have them (or it had been removed for block machine work), and I hammered in a small piece of threaded rod into the location intended for it.

Job is typically done in vehicle, although vans are much tougher.
I've never done one in a van.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't really thought previously about head gaskets in my van but yesterday my niece's 2012 Honda Pilot blew a head gasket out of the blue and made me think it may very well happen to me one day.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,888 Posts
My 2000 developed a leak in my head-gasket last year.
Coolant would leak into cylinder (when it sat overnight) causing misfire at first start.
It threw misfire codes in that cylinder, so at least it let me know which was to blame.

It also pushed combustion into my radiator, causing coolant to push out and overheat.
I discovered the bubbles while doing a leak-down test.
I temporarily ran radiator cap (with no center) to prevent pressure build up which helped.

Finally I ran a bottle of Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant (the $60/bottle stuff) and followed the instructions to the letter, which included fully flushing the system before use.

IT WORKED!
SOLVED MY TROUBLE COMPLETELY!

The product is highly rated, and has a great success rate. They claim the fix is permanent.
For me after a year, numerous out of state trips, and about 20K miles or more.. it's still good.

It was worth a try... far less work and expense.
Nothing to lose for trying.
(your results may vary)

If a chemical fix works, then why not.
Obviously if the engine were ever pulled & rebuilt, then it would be fixed correctly at that time.

Here's my story:

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Engine is back in engine compartment, nothing is bolted or hooked up but the rain came early so I got it sitting in there then tarped the whole van off till the rain ends.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts