Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got a lead on a good astro mechanic in denver?

my van is rusty, from east coast, can't find anyone who will even touch the van.

i'm stuck in a game of pinball, shop to shop, i got quoted yesterday $3k just in labor.

i need new all new break lines, i do not have the time or skillset to do so myself.

im lost and don't know what to do, anyone have a suggestion?

in another fun experience,

almost got scammed on a subaru forester last night...

was told 3rd owner, odo read 143k. carfax came back 7 owners and 340k!!

the two guys i believe printed out fake receipts for clutch, head gaskets, timing belt.

if i were to bet - i'd say there is a ring of scammers in the market right now.

when i'm searching fbook marketplace, those same repairs keep coming up.

im finding that some of these sellers are mutual friends.

fun playing detective, but i really want the van back in action. i love her and want to keep the dream alive.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,754 Posts
Always gotta be careful with buying a used car. We had a neighbor that owned a used car lot, he was the absolute most shady character you would ever meet.

Brake lines are not difficult, just take time and practice.

Right now there is SOOOOO much easy money, there is no reason to take on the harder/dirtier projects for a lot of mechanics.

Highly recommend getting a couple rolls of brake line, some line wrenches, and borrowing a double flaring tool from LAPS to replace them yourself.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
anyone got a lead on a good astro mechanic in denver?
i really want the van back in action. i love her and want to keep the dream alive.
John Elway Chevrolet (303-761-0333) & Downing Street Garage (303-777-0142) - they are both very expensive but every time i have used them they did what i wanted, correctly, the first time..............

·
Registered
674 Posts
Brake lines are one of those things that shops dont want to get into, as the job always gets bigger. Likely if the van is that rusty, you arent replacing just brake lines, you are replacing every busted fitting, rear wheel cylinders when the bleeder snap, then rear hardware and maybe full rear brake job based on condition, combined with a likely battle to remove rear drums.

Up front they would worry about snapping bleeders on your calipers, meaning all new stuff there also ect. Pretty soon this is a 1500 dollar bill in parts.

Also a shop is going to possibly balk at the simple routing of a new rear brake line past the fuel tank. Stock its up next to the tank and you might have people believe they cant do the job right without dropping the fuel tank.

Basically short version is you should do this job yourself, good resources on this forum to follow. Brake lines and brake tools are cheap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts