Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a 94 4.3 block be compatible to a 03? Transferring heads, intake, ect.. Advise please and thank you!

·
Super Moderator
14,319 Posts
Yes it all interchanges. It should be a balance shaft. If you get lucky they got extra block crank webbing on some of them. If you get the one with the metal timing cover. seal that damn crank trigger spot that is unused. JB Weld the piss out of it. It it pop riveted on and they leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! Thanks for your fast reply!! This is my 4th astro, 1st 2nd generation, first awd. I am absolutely an astro fan as I have had nothing but good experiences and wouldn't give my most recent up for anything. (86,91,94 and 03)

Maintenance is key (I'm semi retired) and being a house mechanic whom hates getting greasy(not a wuss, just wasn't my thing) l have dug in and learning to get it done.. questions: what is block crank webbing? How far should I tear down the donor? Oil pan\pump the same? Yes it has the balancer.
What parts can I use from either to be the most efficient? Thanks again for your help!

Buz

Attachments

·
Administrator
87-89-90 03AWDx3
12,159 Posts
Here is a great rundown of changes up through 98. https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... -chevy-262

Even if it doesn't apply directly, should give you some ideas of things that have changed over the years. Pump should be the same, but they are so cheap that I would replace the oil pump anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you chevymaher and astrowill! There is a TON of info and the link was a wealth of information.. Would the crank need to be swapped to the 94 block for the crank position sensor? That is the only thing I that I'm aware of that may be a problem. (?) My experience with my vansis that something that seems easy and straightforward gets to be a pita. Where something seemingly tough ends up a breeze... Thanks again!

Buz

·
Super Moderator
14,319 Posts
yes the crank sensor you need to look into I believe it is a pressed on piece. But the 94 doesn't have that.

·
Administrator
87-89-90 03AWDx3
12,159 Posts
If you are using the injection system from the 94, it won't have nor will need the crank position sensor. It just fires the injectors at the same time, they didn't start firing the injectors one at a time in response to the crank position until 96.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts